Effects

Posted: 7/10/2009 5:35:38 PM
Dubersive

Ahh, alright. Thank you very much for clearing that up, dae23. It's good to know I have the option to move up when I feel like it, and that I'll be able to use that RE-20. It looks like quite nice :)

Now I just need to save up again...

I'll have a look at that website, as there's still much I do not understand about synths and how they work yet, such as CV for example, hehe. Much obliged for the eloquent explanation of CV btw :)
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:50:55 PM
dae23

I actually have the RE-20 on ebay right now (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=190319893203) for $199. I really like it but I'm trying to get an analog delay for my modular in progress.

BTW, I just noticed that synthesizers.com is right down the street from you. I think they are out of Tyler, TX.
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:56:17 PM
Dubersive

I'd love to purchase it from you, but unfortunately I put all of my spending money into the Theremin itself, as well as the carrying bag and mic stand :(

Depending on how long you have it up for, I might be able to buy it from you sometime in the near future though.

As for Synthesizers.com, that's incredibly handy to know - do you think they'd be able to fix a problem that my synth is having? One of the selector buttons stopped working some months back and I have no idea how to fix it myself.
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:54:09 PM
teslatheremin

Hey, I love those old Roland Space-Echos--- but, can One still by the tape loops? Just wondering...
teslatheremin
Posted: 7/10/2009 10:48:27 PM
dae23

I know you can still get tapes for an Echoplex.

I would imagine someone's making them for a Space Echo. It would seem there are just too many of them and they are just too popular for someone not to be making them.
Posted: 7/11/2009 5:55:03 PM
GordonC

There's something to be said in favour of a very pure digital echo.

Much of the appeal of the old tape loops is that they introduce tiny variations in pitch which, when overlaid with notes of a similar pitch introduce - depending on the amount of difference - chorusing, beats and phasing (which is just very slow beats), modulating the amplitude of the note and making variations in the timbre. This gives the impression of a richer sound, more vibrant, more organic.

Tiny variations in pitch are inherent to theremins already. Just holding a note over a delay automatically introduces the above effects, because you do not stand perfectly still. These effects are most emphasised when the delayed sound is not degraded, when it retains all the harmonics of the original tone, so that they can all interact with their approximate copies. This is done best with a straight digital delay - the higher quality the better.

From this point of view, the things to look for in a delay is the quality of the conversion to and from digital - I have an old Boss PS2 Pitch Shifter that doubles as a delay and it is soooo harsh - the pitch shifter I like, but as an echo box it's not for me. Then I have a Marshall Echohead, which is just silky on the pure digital setting. It also has some perfectly fine settings that give it a good old-school feel and I hardly ever use them - IMO the timbral richness that comes from my hand movements is unique to me, part of [i]my[/i] sound, and hence preferable to a programmed emulation of a mechanical imperfection that we have grown attached to for mostly sentimental reasons.

(I would also look for how short a delay the device can achieve, and if the delay allows true 100% feedback. The continuously variable pitch of the theremin is great for exploring the resonant frequencies of a delay on the order of a few milliseconds. At these durations an echo box is a feedback comb filter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter).)
Posted: 7/11/2009 7:42:10 PM
dae23

I would agree with variations in pitch on tape delays (or tape delay emulators such as the RE-20)
being a little weird with a theremin.

But if you want an instant "Forbidden Planet" sound the Space Echo is great fun.

I mostly used my RE-20 as an easy/portable spring reverb. Although, it was pretty cool to have the sci-fi sound at my finger tips if I wanted to.

I ran my theremin through my Leslie speaker once and it sounded REALLY cool on one hand but the pitch shifting made it pretty much unplayable.
I had a feeling that would be the case but I had to try it out.
Posted: 10/4/2009 3:56:21 PM
Dave H

I've been happy with the T-Rex Roommate Tube Reverb Pedal
it adds some warmth to the sound due to the tube.
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:05:05 PM
dae23

So this morning I tried splitting my theremin output, I ran a dry signal to my normal amp setup and ran the second signal through a spring reverb.

I then took the reverb signal and ran it through my Leslie 125 speaker (12" speaker and a single lower rotor) on the slow speed.

It sounded awesome. Swirling reverb!
Posted: 10/14/2009 5:55:21 PM
Orwell84

Has anyone tried an Octave pedal on their theremin? I play very heavy "stoner/sludge" metal and would like my theremin to be in a significantly lower octave than the tuning knob will allow.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.