Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Posted: 1/22/2008 7:37:22 PM
theremin137

The score for the Steve Martin (the "other" Steve Martin, not "our" Steve Martin!) was written by Miklos Rózsa and according to some sources has a theremin in it. I saw the film when it was released theatrically (or, should say, yawned through it - wasn't my cup of tea) and that was long before I had any connection with the instrument. Does anyone know (a) if there IS a theremin in the score and (b) who played it? The film came out in 1982, long before the present "renaissance" of the theremin. I wonder who even would have been in the Musician's Union in the U.S. back then.

Posted: 1/23/2008 3:29:48 AM
GordonC

There's a cue bu cue analysis of the Dead Men here...

http://www.filmscorerundowns.net/rozsa/deadmen.pdf

This from page 18.

[i]Note: The written cue states “synthesizer or theremin.” If it were to be the synth, then it would play “quasi theremin.” Well, obviously the theremin was used. On page 10 of the Preston Neal Jones “Dead Men’s Diary” account, we read: “Three cues featuring Dr. Rozsa’s old creepy comrade, the theremin, will have to be recorded this morning [Wednesday, January 6] because instrumentalist Paul Shore has to leave at noon to catch a plane. The first theremin cue sets up a ‘Slowly-I-turned’ sort of running gag in which Martin is affected by the words ‘cleaning woman,’ much as Gregory Peck was by the visual motif of lines-on-whiteness in Spellbound, and goes violently berserk. After the recording of the cue, the scene is played back ‘mit sound,’ unlike most of yesterday’s playbacks, and it works just fine.” Apparently Rozsa had phoned during a playback and Reiner praised the music. Rozsa heard the trail end of the theremin and jokingly commented on how out of tune they were. At least I believe this is what was said, although the words “They’re out of cue” was written. I suppose that was miss-typed.[/i]

Posted: 1/23/2008 7:14:47 AM
Navrag

One of my favourite movies.. Back when Steve Martin was actually funny.. I will have to dig it out again, as I don't remember any Theremin, but of course I have a much better educated ear now....
Posted: 1/23/2008 12:05:52 PM
theremin137

Hmm, interesting. Well, if Paul Shure's playing for the score of "Plaid" wasn't any better than his efforts in the Steven M. Martin Documentary "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey," ["Close enough for jazz"] -- then I can see how Rózsa would hear the theremin being "out of cue" !!

Thx for the input on this nagging question!!
Posted: 1/23/2008 12:25:00 PM
GordonC

You're welcome. It's a movie I enjoy. I'm down with the Dead Men.
Posted: 1/23/2008 12:33:46 PM
theremin137

btw I did some googling for Paul Shure and found out that he also played on the score for "Batman Forever," a film [1995] I've never seen. Apparently, the theremin part was very prominent in places. Anyone heard this? Anyone know what theremin he used?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.