Roll call!

Posted: 3/17/2005 5:01:33 PM
jules

Actually, I don't. Interesting concept though---Julian
Posted: 3/17/2005 5:47:55 PM
ThereMan

offtopic-so how may of u guys have done karate or rated x things to your theremin to see what kind of sound it would make...i know im not the only one
Posted: 3/17/2005 6:14:41 PM
model citizen

"rated x things"

No, can't say i've ever tryed to play any of my instruments with, er, my "instrument"! ;)

I'd be interested in what oscillations/feedback/etc could be coaxed out of a theremin via the RF fields that other applicances give off. Cellphone SS7 signalling creates those horrible blips and barks thru stereo speakers, I wonder what it does to a theremin?
Posted: 3/17/2005 8:32:41 PM
DiggyDog

The closest to X-rated I have done is to kind of work the volume loop with my butt (actually it's more like my hip) while the end of my bass works the pitch antenna.

We have one song where I do this to get some "effects" out of the theremin while I am playing bass.

I have tried my cell phone on it and nothing happened.
Posted: 3/17/2005 8:34:38 PM
DiggyDog

BTW, My son wants to run his Hot Wheels track over my theremin to see if the cars set it off.

I'll report my findings when we set it up.

Posted: 3/17/2005 8:47:07 PM
ThereMan

that actually sounds like a real cool idea, i wonder what happened to the guy who wanted to activate his theremin with juggling balls
Posted: 3/18/2005 1:53:52 AM
Hilton

I don't think the juggling balls would work very well. I've tried throwing stuff at the antenna from across the room to see what happens. It didn't do anything at all. I don't think simple balls are carrying any sort of capacitance with which to provoke the insturment. maybe if he put some sort of small electronic device in the ball.

By the way I am Ryan. I currnelty live in Texas and fell deeply in love with the theremin ever since I saw it used by The Polyphonic Spree at a show I went to. I have played violin for around seven years now, and when I saw the thermein I realized that I should be playing that as well. I bought one a few months ago and it all clicked. I'm hooked for life and progressing rather quickly ( to me great surprise).

Im currently playing a Kess. Im quite enticed by that new E-wind thermein though. Maybe I will have to upgrade when I find a job.

By the way if anyone has any freelance writing of any sort they need done I will do it for a very low price.
Posted: 3/18/2005 8:15:16 AM
Charlie D

I'm no physicist, but I would have thought that the capitant objects would need to be earthed in order to affect the antennae?
Posted: 3/18/2005 10:35:30 AM
DiggyDog

The Barbie doll head I have on my pitch antenna affects it a little bit.

My son's favorite trick is to put the dog by the theremin and get her to wag her tail.
Posted: 3/25/2005 5:40:44 PM
Barl

I'm John, and I've been playing for about a year now. It's the toughest instrument I've tried to learn, but it's definetly that much more rewarding. I've always wondered about playing the bass with my moog, but I've yet to work the kinks out.

So even if the ball isn't grounded, wouldn't it still interfere with the electro magnetic field? I too am no physicist.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.