Roll call!

Posted: 3/29/2005 11:45:44 PM
Jason

Welcome!

If the ball had enough mass to ground out the circuit, possibly.

I suggest we move the side topic into a new thread & keep this thread focused more on introductions.
Posted: 4/4/2005 2:24:40 PM
Andrew Baron

Hi All ~
I'm Andrew (or Andy) Baron. As with so many others, my first and profound inspiration to have a theremin was the result of seeing "Theremin - An Electronic Odyssey" at our local arts theatre in the Fall of '96. By that time, I'd been playing with electronic kit building and vintage radio restoration for about 25 years, so decided to build the Moog 201 tube theremin from Moog's 1954 magazine construction article, which was an ambitious but rewarding project. I had the theremin playable in January '97, although have continued to customize it with various features and improvements.

I play theremin for my own entertainment and relaxation, and typically choose popular music from the '10s, '20's and '30s, mostly derived from favorite old 78s that I've enjoyed.

I divide my time between my "day job" as a Paper Engineer (someone who works with illustrators, to design pop-up books and cards), and my alternate work of restoring antique machines; primarily radios, early phonographs, clocks, etc, to supplement my design business. On occasion, I still manage to enjoy restoring some vintage treasure for myself, when I can find the time.

I'm very pleased to be a part of the theremin community, and tip my hat to Jason for all the time and energy he's put into this informative website.

Posted: 4/12/2005 9:41:48 PM
Jason

We've had at least 20 new users this month so far... Welcome to Theremin World! Care to share a bit about yourself and your interest in the theremin?
Posted: 5/23/2005 1:23:00 PM
Hammy

Hi. I'm Jen. I was introduced to the theremin when I saw Pamelia Kurstin play at Tonic in NYC about four years ago. I've been playing my Etherwave for about three years at various venues(Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, CB's gallery, Arlene's Grocery)in New York City . I play with three bands - Stickerbook, Omri, and Katie Brennan & The Holy Bones.
Posted: 5/24/2005 8:50:44 AM
Thereminless

Hi, I obtained a theremin about a year or so ago. It drifted very badly (about a half step every 30 seconds) even after a prolonged warmup, so I returned it to the manufacturer. I think it was just a dud unit, and the company was kind enough to refund my money.

I had played it daily and was incredibly frustrated and defeated at my inability to hit notes accurately. It wasn't until my trial period was almost up that I discovered that it was drifting like that. I'd play a song for three minutes, and the instrument would be 1.5-3 steps off from where I started.

So, I haven't been able to get up the nerve to order another one. Obviously, my family is quite relieved that I sent it back, after enduring a month of me trying in vain to hit notes.

Thereminless

Posted: 6/5/2005 10:40:09 AM
Erik

Erik here!
I had been fascinated by the Theremin for years but knew they were a real challenge to play. I decided I needed a new challenging hobby and finally got one for my 40th birthday. I own one of the few Ethervoxes ever made, and a new Etherwave Pro, which I prefer. I live in the Seattle area. Jason and I are sort of neighbors. I will confess to a bit of personality cult when it comes to Clara Rockmore. She was the quintessential diva! I will be playing at church sometime this fall.
E
Posted: 6/7/2005 2:06:40 PM
Jason

Hey Erik! Unfortunately, we haven't actually been neighbors for a while... I moved to North Carolina, just about 3 hours away from Moog Music. You're in great theremin company in Seattle though - a few other TW readers are also up in your neck of the NorthWest.
Posted: 6/21/2005 5:13:21 PM
steve/camarilla

im steve. i live in greenville NC (5 hours from asheville/moog!)
i first gained interest in theremin when i learned they existed, i have a affinity for nonconvential instruments. the first time i played one was at a showing of 'the day the earth stood still' in raleigh NC. they had one on display and i decided i wanted to have one.
i bought mine at the fine music explorium (chapel hill NC) and have been playing for two years approximatly.

im very into experimental music and utilize my theremin heavily in a project called camarilla. currently most of my compositions lean towards ambient/noise/conceptual pieces.

i look forward to learning more about theremins and becoming more skilled and versitile at the instrument.
and im friendly, i love to talk to anyone.

thanks!
-steve
Posted: 6/21/2005 9:32:06 PM
jon

hulloo! i'm jon, from melbourne australia. i've only ever played a theremin once down at the local electronics shop, and don't have much chance of owning one since i can't afford even an awful sounding kit theremin like the one i played! but i'm trying to learn how to piece together one using the tiny amount of electronics knowledge i have. otherwise, i'm a percussionist, pianist, musical saw player, beginner banjo player and architect. i'm into noise music, minimalism, contemporary classical & avant-garde, so a theremin would be really useful...
Posted: 7/14/2005 3:58:52 PM
Jason

*bump*

I've seen lots of new members recently (28 new in the past 2 weeks alone!) - welcome!! The more the merrier!

Give us a shout, let us know who you are, how you're interested in the theremin, and most importantly, what you're looking for & how we can help you on your theremin journey.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.