My new Keys arrived today!

Posted: 5/30/2006 12:49:58 PM
Wavelength UK

Evening all.

My Kees arrived today!

I think that the standard of build and workmanship is first class. As regards the sound - not being an expert player I am not perhaps qualified to give that much of an opinion - though it is certainly light years ahead of the Jaycar one that I have had for a while. The tone sounds fantastic and I have just managed to get what approximates to a tune out of it. All in all - excellent value for money and a real instrument as opposed to a toy!

Regards,
Ian
Posted: 5/30/2006 1:49:30 PM
GordonC

Congratulations.

There may well be a transistor or some such lying around in the box. Apparently it's a spare part.

(I mention this because I threw my box away without noticing it! Read about it afterwards. So far I haven't needed it.)

Gordon
Posted: 5/30/2006 2:40:19 PM
Wavelength UK

Thanks Gordon

Just checked all of the packaging - couldnt see a spare transister! There was a lead to connect it to a PP9 battery - not that I need it as the mains adapter from my Jaycar fits fine.

Ian
Posted: 5/30/2006 5:01:16 PM
AndanteCantabile

I've found that spare part, anyway i checked a local store next to my house and sells usually that kind of transistor. So, if one day you'll need it you 'll be able to find it easily.
Posted: 5/30/2006 9:46:19 PM
schielenkrahe

The weird thing is, I found no mention whatsoever of this little spare part. I've got it, but what's it for? I guess an e-mail to Kees himself is in order.

I'm enjoying the Kees, but finding it very different in character from the PAIA products or Moog Products.

The pitch linearity is strikingly different, setting it prior to playing is a more intricate process, at least for me.

If there's anything at all that's proven to be less than what I expected it's the timbre control -- the fact that there are only two settings: "saw" or "sine" without the ability to tweak them in any way. I'd like to make the "saw" a little smoother and the "sine" a little less hooty ( to me it sounds sort of like a slide whistle ).

Other than that, I'm finding it very responsive and fun to play. What kind of experiences are you others having, and what are you using it for ( what types of music and effects )?
Posted: 5/31/2006 10:26:48 AM
GordonC

This is what the transistor is for...

http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=1674&F=557

I'm using my Kees for experimental oddness. :-)
Posted: 5/31/2006 6:03:20 PM
AndanteCantabile

I was at first puzzled with the "sine/saw" knob. I like more the sine setting, because you can try all sorts of "Vibrato" and "Tremolo" with a nice sounding.
I had some problems at first in getting used to the linearity of the kees, but in one month i managed.
Posted: 6/1/2006 4:15:15 PM
sinno

what its got going for it is the sound, its so spooky on the sine wave and angry on the saw. and it looks boss.

www.myspace.com/kevinsinnott

cant hyperlink !!! really bad at html or whatever :o(
Posted: 6/2/2006 6:22:38 AM
zakiman

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.