Good News, Everyone! (for me that is...)

Posted: 12/25/2007 5:30:14 PM
TheDiscoKing

Hello! And Merry Christmas, X-Mas, or whatever corrupt and self-indulgent religous Holiday you may or may not celebrate! (I, myself, am not religous in anyway, but I don't try to force my veiws upon anyone like SOME certain "Atheist", and I'm pretty execpting towards most opinons.)

But, as my prophetic visons foretold, I would recieve a vast sum of X-Mas Riches. And much to my surprise, I received MORE than I had anticepated! Around $200 more! (this is good, if you haven't caught up yet)

In my previous post, I had explained that being 1/2 Jewish caused me to re-think which Theremin to buy. In otherwords, I'm a penny pincher and refused to pay alot of money. I had setteled with buying the Kee's model... this is where a travisty took place...

Mr. Kees' as you likely know, lives in the Land Down Under. Thats right! NEW JERSEY! wait.... thats not right... Austrilia? They have the Kangooroos? Huh... guess that was just a rat in New Jersey then... ANYWAY, I'm sure Mr. Kees is enjoying this time because he decided to go on break from building theremins; I assume to find more gas in his dunebuggy or to get his baby back from a dingo. (thats a Mad Max refrence.)

With him on leave and my vast fortune whailing to be spent, I have done the unthinkable; I'M GETTING A MOOG ETHERWAVE! With plenty of money left for cigarettes and uhm... "tea". (*wink*)

Before I force you to bleed from the eyes because of shear boredom, I ask you this:

If I DO buy the Standerd Etherwave, am I pretty much cornered into buying the amplifier, the audio cable AND the Mic stand?

I have a lot of cables for various instruments and 3 different amplifiers, but instead of learning what there called and if they'll work, I use the method of "plug that in there!" and if theres sound? Great Job!

Will the Etherwave fit ANY mic stand? I dont want to shell out $34 for a metal tube with a screw ontop, and a crappy digital PRIME amp for $100. (I prefer old fashioned vaccumm tubes)

Any Help... please?

Sincerely,
The Disco King.
Posted: 12/25/2007 7:25:51 PM
TomFarrell

The audio cable for the Etherwave is a standard guitar cord (1/4" headphone-type adapter at either end).

The Etherwave can use a standard keyboard amp. Its line-level signal is too strong for an ordinary guitar amp. If you turn the volume down really low it might be able to use it without blowing out the guitar amp's speaker but you'll feel that the volume control has insufficient response unless you use a keyboard amp.

I've heard a bass amp can work too but haven't tried it.
Posted: 12/26/2007 3:40:48 PM
Jason

Congratulations!

I use a keyboard amp with my theremins. It matches the right signal range and has treble/mid/bass tone knobs I can use to adjust the sound a bit.

For use with a guitar or bass amp, there is a mod in the Etherwave manual that has you swap out 1 resistor. But realize that guitar amps are probably going to be more tuned to upper range frequencies and bass amps to lower range frequencies - so neither is "ideal".
Posted: 12/26/2007 4:08:55 PM
TheDiscoKing

Ah, I suspected a keyboard amp might work; being tuned to support the crazy highs and lows of a keyboard and all.

Thank Thou very much.

Also, just out of curiosity, do I get a reach-around if I buy the instruction manual? Thats insane to PAY for them! Does it contain anything useful or is it just tech talk?
Posted: 12/26/2007 4:08:57 PM
TheDiscoKing

Ah, I suspected a keyboard amp might work; being tuned to support the crazy highs and lows of a keyboard and all.

Thank Thou very much.

Also, just out of curiosity, do I get a reach-around if I buy the instruction manual? Thats insane to PAY for them! Does it contain anything useful or is it just tech talk?
Posted: 12/26/2007 4:33:18 PM
TomFarrell

The instruction manual is available for download from the Moog Music web site.

What's a "reach-around"?
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:01:29 PM
TheDiscoKing

Hahahaha....err..eh.. (looks around and looks at the floor)

It's an expression you use when your paying too much or are getting the short end of the stick? Getting ripped off?

And without using obscene languge, its getting 'Effed in the A? Your getting F***ed? and the least they could do is???... you should catch on.
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:32:44 PM
teslatheremin

D-K,
I think that Tom was being facetious(sp?), but, your enthusiasm is blessedly near obscene levels.
Welcome, to ThereminWorld!
A keyboard amp is the best choice for the wide and harmonically rich audio emmissions a Theremin creates. There are not many tube amps that can reliably reproduce the Theremins tone that are now--- because of the advance of technology--- within the average consumer's monetary reach.

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 12/27/2007 6:53:50 AM
GordonC

Sorry, can't help with the reach-around. Well, [i]could[/i] but [i]won't[/i]. I don't like to touch when I'm playing.

Alexander might be able to administer a heart-felt cupping, if that would help.

Congrats on affording an etherwave.
Posted: 12/27/2007 9:09:24 PM
MisterWaffles

I usually use my computer's audio interface to play my theremin through, but before I started doing that my tiny starting guitar amp worked fine. I just had to turn the gain down to zero and the volume up.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.