no1derland 008

Posted: 1/15/2008 3:25:37 PM
dr lobotomy

Hello out there...

Any advice on the theremin above? I'm having trouble tuning it so that I can get any more than an octave range out of it.

Also there seems to be a very very large distance between bass notes and a tiny distance between higher notes. I understand this is called linearity and equal distance between notes is rare in most theremins. The company who supplied it told me to get a bigger antenna...

I'm not completely new to the theremin, I've been playing one built from a cheap kit for about a year in a 60s style garage psych band, and although the volume antenna doesn't do much, the pitch one is very playable.

So is it just me or have I got a dodgy instrument?
Posted: 1/15/2008 4:58:42 PM
GordonC

Interesting to hear from someone with a 008. Not many of no1nderland's customers seem to turn up around here.

Have you spoken to Tony Bassett about the limited pitch range? The website states that: [i]It will also generate an audio sine-wave sound oscillation covering the full range of the audio spectrum.[/i]"

I'll let someone else address your linearity question.

One option, if you really are not satisfied with your instrument (key-phrase = [i]not fit for the purpose[/i]) and is not as described in the advertising (key-phrase = [i]Trade Descriptions Act 1968[/i]) is to return it.

I note that Turnkey (http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=MOOG-ETHERSTD&context=WEB) and Soundcontrol (http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.4.1-150-444&aid=74340) are advertising Moog Etherwave theremins (Soundcontrol says "Call for availability. Due soon") at £199 - only 19 quid more than the 008.

The etherwave is as good as you can get without paying silly money.

Welcome to Theremin World. :-)

Posted: 1/16/2008 7:53:23 AM
dr lobotomy

Thanks, GordonC. They said the limited pitch was due to the size of the pitch antenna and suggested I get a bigger one... which isn't really satisfactory. Returning it may be the best option.
You're right about the 008 online generally, I can't find any reviews of them anywhere.
Thanks for the Moog tip, I'd had trouble finding one and thought they'd been discontinued.
Posted: 1/16/2008 1:05:19 PM
GordonC

The Etherwave [i]Pro[/i] was recently discontinued. That may have been the source of your confusion.

Either that or having lobotomised yourself.
Posted: 2/3/2008 4:04:50 PM
zakiman

I had one, sold it on ebay.
If you want to do any good theremining, they arn't good.
I bought a Moog, but to be honnest got bored of the whole thing.
Maybe I'll sell it.
Posted: 2/3/2008 4:26:46 PM
GordonC

Sorry to hear that, Zaki, old chap. I kinda figured though, since we haven't seen you around here in a long while.

Nice to see a posting from you nonetheless. :-)
Posted: 2/4/2008 2:55:23 AM
dr lobotomy

Well, it's not just me, then. I sent it back and ordered a moog etherwave which, I'm told, will be arriving any day now...
Posted: 2/9/2008 2:36:51 PM
TomFarrell

I notice that no1derland sells a colloidal silver maker, without mentioning that long term use of such a thing will make you turn blue (http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/20/another-person-turns.html).

Somehow I can't bring myself to feel that they're very concerned about their customers.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.