problem with volume antenna

Posted: 6/3/2008 4:53:07 AM
Noora

Hello all! I just finally bought my first theremin yesterday. It is Moog Etherwave (not Pro, basic).

It works well otherwise but when I place my right hand to the volume control antenna, it makes sort of high, loud but very short sound. I though I could place my hand on the antenna to silece the theremin, not to create a strong sound itself. Is there a problem with me, my theremin or my amplifier (behringer 45 watt)?
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:42:41 PM
Thierry

No, this effect is undesired, but normal on the Etherwave Standard. It seems that although the volume oscillators frequency is much higher, touching the volume loop gives so much additional capacity that interference with the pitch oscillator appears.

Normally there should be no need to touch the volume loop, muting should already be obtained at 1 cm above. Some players even dip one or more fingers inside the loop, still without touching it.

People who can't refrain from touching may try a heat shrinkable tube around the loop.
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:04:48 AM
Noora

Thank you so much for information! So the problem was with the theremin, not in me.

I could also ask for another theremin as I purchased it nearby, allthough if most of them have to same problem? In the shop I tried one theremin and it was allright. I would not dare to heat anything as I am lacking the knowledge on how to do it properly.
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:17:47 AM
Thierry

Theremins are very sensitive to environment conditions (additional or lacking capacity to ground). It may happen that an Etherwave which doesn't "tchirp" in the store will do it at home or vice versa.
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:50:47 AM
Noora

Ah, I see. Thank you for the help, Thierry!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.