theremin amp

Posted: 7/14/2008 1:42:58 PM
djpb_designs

Welcome Jul!

Secret Information from Levnet (nudge nudge wink wink, tell no one)

The was a interesting rundown of good things to have for a theremin amp over there.

1. Most theremins have line-level outputs
a. Need to attenuate the theremin with a volume foot pedal, maybe, to go into instrument inputs.

2. Tube amps have the same "warming" effect for theremin tone as for guitar amps.

3. A 3-band EQ (bass, middle, treble) stage is desirable.

4. The best playing arrangement is to have the speaker behind your head.

5. Most players seem to prefer lower-power (15W) amps unless playing in large venues.

Since building amps is one of my favorite pastimes, I am taking this all to heart. Once I can finally finish off that theremin of mine. Presently it's in UFO status (Un-Finished Object) LOL

Don
Posted: 7/14/2008 4:35:06 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Presently it's in UFO status" LOL! I like that!.. You have given me a whole new angle on my life!
I am a UFO Designer! (Hopefully not for much longer!)
Posted: 7/15/2008 10:41:43 AM
thereminjul

tx to you both, omhoge and djpb.
I am on Levnet too.
Thanks djpb on your list summing things up for me, esp the bit about 3-band EQ (bass, middle, treble) stage being desirable
Still haven't decided which amp yet...but must decide quick cos I am dying to get back into it.
Will keep you boys posted on my progress...
jul
Posted: 7/15/2008 6:32:05 PM
teslatheremin

Hey all,
I was just being a bit sarcastic! I recently joined the 'lev to which Theremin World does not link'.
I'm with FredM, it would be nice if a link existed at Thermin World to--- the place Thierry will never mention again, (in damn fine english, I might add)!

Good Luck, All!

teslatheremin
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:16:51 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Omhoge,
I would like to see more than a "link to the place that cannot be named :~)" - Why not a thread into which he place-that-cannot-be-named digests can simply be copied daily? - This way TW would be THE ONLY complete Theremin resource on the www..
I suppose there is a chance that some place-that-cannot-be-named users may not want this - and at times the place-that-cannot-be-named (in my view) is a lot less freindly than TW, so perhaps some at TW would not want this..

but it would be really nice to be able to say "see digest 1234 on the place-that-cannot-be-named thread", Those using place-that-cannot-be-named have this advantage - they can refer to any TW thread, and others can find the information.. it is not so easy for TW users who do not subscribe to the place-that-cannot-be-named to access sacred scripts from the place-that-cannot-be-named.

Leven and un-Leven ? Hmmm.. could take on almost religeous overtones.. ;) - But if we can realise that we all worship the same god, perhaps the spirit of the Aether will guide us into deeper understandings.

Peace ;-)
Posted: 7/16/2008 10:46:46 PM
carport888

TW servers are strained as it is without cross-posting large amounts of data from other sources. Voldemo...er, I mean that-which-should-not-be-named is not exclusive. Anyone who wants to sign up and access the database can, as far as I know.

Off-Topic: I'm using my computer stereo as a Theremin amp right now (through my soundcard so I can record, too). ;)
Posted: 7/17/2008 12:11:15 PM
djpb_designs

Well all this amp talk inspired me to design an amp that meets the criterion established by everyone's wish list on "that place that can't be named" (and why can't it? :) )

Even sent out a request for quote for a custom power transformer.

Have I piqued anyone's interest?

Don
Posted: 7/17/2008 12:50:41 PM
kkissinger

As mentioned before, the Levnet archives are protected from search engines, etc. If Levnet messages are copied to TW, then the "private" nature of Levnet is compromised.

I think the way it is now is OK -- folks that want to follow Levnet can subscribe.
Posted: 7/17/2008 12:56:02 PM
kkissinger

to get back on topic:

This link takes you to Chris's website where he compiled posts from TW that answer a lot of basic questions.
http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/illusion.htm

Chris picked up a post I made regarding amplifiers that may be of interest to you:

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/library/kkissinger/amp_inputs.htm

All the best!

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 7/17/2008 1:44:01 PM
djpb_designs

Since the thread was regarding theremin amps, I posted there. This thread should probably move over to "theremin construction" soon -- maybe after I build one up. Anyway ...

Several things drive me to design my own amps:

1. POVERTY! Can't justify spending lots of money up front (or on credit for that matter) to buy equipment.

2. Can't get EXACTLY what I want anyway. Being able to design and build exactly what I want is a huge advantage.

3. Since I built it, I know exactly how it works and how to maintain it. The Musical Instrument industry tends to be not so forthcoming on details at times. Some manufacturers will not provide any technical information (schematics, etc) for their products. Some require you to be an authorized repair center.

While I enjoy repairing things for people, I don't have the means or the desire to become a full-fledge "authorized repair center".

4. Since I have already designed and built a few very good sounding amps, I have a wealth of schematics to cut-and-paste from. So it didn't take too much effort to design a theremin amp that should embody what people want.

... off to the "construction" forum ...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.