theremin amp: take two

Posted: 7/20/2008 8:36:35 PM
thereminjul

my thread got hijacked.
anyway, getting back to amps.
could one of you guys just tell me which is best!?!?
i went to kevin's links and read those and he lost me at about the 3rd word. here's the choices:

Behringer V-Tone GM108 15W Modeling Guitar Combo Amp
Crate FlexWave Series FW15 15W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp
Crate FlexWave FW15R 15W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Randall RX Series RX15M 15W 1x6.5 Guitar Combo Amp
Line 6 Spider III 15 15W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp

There are no other choices. Just these. Pick one for me. I will go by consensus. Then I can start practicing my theremin.
Thanks.
Jul
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:13:27 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"my thread got hijacked."

Sorry Jul! :(
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:26:38 AM
fairplay

...from that list I'd choose...

...hmmm...

...the Roland MicroCube (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Roland/MicroCube+Combo/10/1)...which was my first amp to give company to my theremin, and which - looking back - had an incredible output for the theremin (smooth where required, harsh when needed)...

(this URL is just a link (http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm) to show you the product and to make it easier for you to find it at a reseller near you)
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:31:37 AM
Thierry

"my thread got hijacked."

I'm also sorry
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:52:02 AM
thereminjul

it's ok guys.
I went over to the yahoo group, and got some info over there.
go ahead, call me a traitor.

Maybe I did not make myself clear enough the first time around.
Here's my sitch again:

I AM BROKE. I HAVE NO MONEY FOR AMPS, REALLY.
I am dying to get back into practicing. I am a rank beginner, so sound, portability, coolness, this and that, etc etc don't matter.
I just need to get it up on a mic stand, which I can probably go get at a pawn shop, or music store for 10 or 20 bucks.

I gave the amp list because all those amps are under a hundred bucks so please don't recommend other amps OVER 100 bucks. thanks.

I'd like to not have to buy anything, as I need any available cash right now for food and gas.

HERE IS WHAT I DO have at home.
A stereo (Kenwood receiver) with bookshelf speakers. Another list said I can play it thru that. Yes? is this true? or not true? I haven't tried because I dont' want to blow out anything.

Thanks.
Jul
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:08 AM
fairplay

[i]HERE IS WHAT I DO have at home.
A stereo (Kenwood receiver) with bookshelf speakers.[/i]

...I am not electrician or similar, but my understanding is, that if the receiver has a line-input (eg. phono-input) or similar, this should work perfectly. I'd keep the volume initially down and try, but I see no reason why anything should 'blow up'.

...have fun!
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:29:50 AM
Thierry

Just do not take the phono, but the cd, tape or aux input and this configuration will work fine. All you have to buy is a cable with a 1/4" mono plug on one side and two RCA (Cinch) plugs on the other side. I paid it 8 EUR, so it should not be more expensive than 12-13 USD.

And start with the volume knob of your Kenwood fully counterclockwise, so there is no risk.
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:01:56 PM
fairplay

[i]Just do not take the phono, but the cd, tape or aux input and this configuration will work fine.[/i]

...listen to Thierry! - [b]he[/b] knows what he is talking about. And as you got the exact same answer via the [i]aetherophon[/i] you should be pretty safe ;o)
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:55:49 PM
terrymin

Hi thereminjul, I am using a Behringer. Although I've got a larger keyboard amp the quality is very good. Can you take the Theremin to the dealer?.
they are usually very interested and helpful.
Good luck with your search....Terrymin..
Whoops just read your second post.Stereo amps work fine.
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:19:59 PM
Thomas Grillo

Yes, you can run your theremin through the stereo if it has a CD/Aux input, but you may need a quarter inch to RCA male adaptor to do it. It's only a few bucks at radio shack.

Of those amps listed, I'd see which of them has reverb, and is rated as a keyboard amp. Moog Music also carries a TB15 amp for about 100 bucks.

Good luck.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.