Greeting from Canada!

Posted: 8/28/2008 3:49:53 AM
dupemaster77

Hello all, my name's Dan and I just recently discovered the theremin. And by recently I mean today.

:)

I saw a few videos on it, and was instantly hooked. I was never good at picking up instruments, ('cept for drums) but the theremin looks like a fairly easy instrument. That, and I'd have a great time playing it.

So I just turned 15 years old and just got a job. There's no money in my pockets, that's for sure. I was basically wondering what theremin I could buy for the lowest amount of money possible, but one with two antenna so I can play it right.

If any of you fine folks could recommend me one, or maybe if you have an old, still working theremin you would be able to sell me, that would be great. I want to start playing/practicing ASAP!

Looking forward to your responses!

Cheers
-Dan

P.S. I also speak a little bit of Japanese. Thought I could let you all know seeing as this is a half-intro :)

Posted: 8/28/2008 6:19:43 AM
GordonC

Hi Dan, welcome to Theremin World. Moshi, moshi.

[i]the theremin looks like a fairly easy instrument[/i]

It does, doesn't it.

Kinda depends what you want to do with it. If playing in tune is a priority for you, then not so easy as it looks. (By "in tune" I mean like this... http://youtube.com/watch?v=vJreHwu_mNs.)

I'm not trying to put you off, but before you spend your money on an impulse purchase it is only fair to let you know that this is a major commitment of your time - and it is going to help a lot if you already have a good ear for pitch - i.e. [i]other people[/i] tell you that you can sing in tune, and the majority of theremin videos on youTube make you wince when they keep missing the notes.

If, on the other hand, you are up for the avant-garde, experimental, weird stuff and are comfortable with the notes that fall between the cracks of a piano keyboard, then it's still a big commitment, but the learning curve isn't quite so steep. (A tiny bit more expensive though - you might want to buy an echo pedal too.) (An example - sorry you can't see the playing technique - I don't have a video camera - but on the plus side you don't have to look at my ugly face. http://youtube.com/watch?v=CdL_FB2ZP10)

Your namesake Dan Burns covers the budget end of two stick theremins. http://soundslikeburns.com. I'd pay the extra for the B3 Deluxe - the distance between the antenna determines how far apart notes are in the pitch field - the B3 standard is very tight indeed and consequently far harder to play.
Posted: 8/28/2008 8:37:14 AM
omhoge

Welcome to ThereminWorld dupemaster77!

Ditto the above. If you're looking for precise melodic playing and a solid instrument you can't go wrong with the Moog EtherWave Standard.
For non-melodic and experimental work the less linear ones can yield very interesting results and if you're a hobbyist, building one to your own needs can be very rewarding.

Very glad you found the Theremin and our world here. Keep us posted on your theremin adventures!

And dear Gordon, I remain amazed at your free time and thank you for spending so much of it in our forums and for all the UK event planning you crank out, kudos for therevangelizing!
Posted: 8/28/2008 3:05:55 PM
dupemaster77

Arigato gozaimasu!

All of this information is helpful. And to answer your questions, I want to learn the theremin because...

1. They really do sound freaking awesome
2. It would be great when my family gets together at Christmas because everyone plays songs together
3. It seems easy, yes, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't put my time into it :)
4. I'd like to see the looks on peoples faces when I pull this thing out and start playing a tune
5. I can sing along, or hum along with almost any tune. Not PERFECT, but who really can?
6. Did I mention is sounds amazing?

Hopefully that's enough reason to want to learn to play!

Cheers
-Dan
Posted: 8/28/2008 6:47:14 PM
GordonC

Dan - It works for me. Good luck. (5 - Really good singers.)

omhoge - life has given me some lemons, so I'm making lemonade!

No, seriously, I'm on doctor's orders to get plenty of R&R, so I use my time to make my wishes come true. (*) It's preferable to going stir crazy. Some people relax in front of the TV, I relax with a keyboard on my lap, which is a great way of doing stuff at my own gentle pace, and thereminists are great folk to hang out with online. Last year I wished for the best party ever - loads of interesting people and lots to do and talk about, ending with my dream theremin concert. This year I started wishing for another one, even better...

(*) I can do that. I'm 1/16th genie on my mother's side.
Posted: 8/28/2008 10:02:53 PM
Jason

Welcome dupemaster77! Konichi wa!

You have the distinction of being our 2000th registered and activated member at ThereminWorld.com!

Looking forward to getting to know you in the forums!
Posted: 8/28/2008 10:13:35 PM
dupemaster77

Wow that's awesome! #2000!

Domo arigato!
Posted: 8/29/2008 12:46:38 PM
omhoge

congrats dupemaster77!

Those are all great reasons to start with the theremin, and you'll find even more. I guess what I want to know is,
Where are you getting Your Theremin, did you decide on a place?
Hope it comes to you quickly.

So much will reveal itself once you have an instrument, and for many of us it's been a life changing event.

To Gordon - gods and goddesses bless ya; lemons have never done greater good than these. Hope it all continues to be good and healing.

And to all of you-s
KEEP ON PLAY'N!

skol - John

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.