Needing Theremin Recognition Program

Posted: 2/26/2009 5:16:20 PM
kienzan

Hey all!

I recently bought and theremin and have been spending a LOT of time trying to find a program that can edit the pitch the theremin inputs to the line in (in a computer). The best one I was able to find was WIDI recognition system but I can't seem to change it to an instrument other than Grand Piano.

Any suggestions? All i'm trying to do is find a way to turn a theremin into a midi controller.
Posted: 2/26/2009 10:52:32 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Google "Pitch to Midi" and 'real' + 'time' .. There are a multitude of packages including "Digital Ear" and free VST plug-ins..
I use Cakewalk Producer which can accept VST, but most other VST compatible sequencers allow routing of MIDI data to virtual instruments or MIDI ports.
Setting up could be a real headache, particularly if you want the MIDI to follow the Theremin sound closely - You need to map the pitch bend parameters so that the driven instrument tracks correctly.
I used to do a lot of this stuff - but havent really worked with MIDI for about 8 years.. but even 8 years ago it was possible to track a carefully hummed tune and get this to drive a synth via MIDI port.. At that time I had to run the audio through the sequencer to the pitch->MIDI plug-in, and route the MIDI via a patching driver to an external MIDI output, as the sequencer did not allow me to do this directly, and my PC was not fast enough to process both the Audio->MIDI and do a software synth.
I am sure things have moved a long way in 8 years, and with a reasonable PC and one of the sequencers like Cakewalk or Cubase, and a couple of plug-ins, you can (eventually) get what you want.
Posted: 2/26/2009 11:04:38 PM
Thomas Grillo

It's a bit costly, but Wavefront, the makers of the Travel Case, and Classic Style theremins also poduces a theremin to midi interface module. I don't know if it just takes CV, or if it can take the direct output, and run midi with it. Here's the link to the device which is nearly 500 dollars unfortunately.

http://theremin.ws/midi.html
Posted: 2/27/2009 4:28:21 AM
ether-jean

I want to try this too...but i need time to take a look at pure data...

midi theremin with pd (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/08/26/how-to-turn-theremin-into-midi-free-with-pd/)

let me know if it works for you

Posted: 2/27/2009 1:58:46 PM
GordonC

Welcome to theremin world, kienzan and ether-jean.

The theremin to MIDI pd patch featured on Theremin World news in August last year. There is a short forum thread with some pertinent comments about it here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=3513&F=715).
Posted: 2/27/2009 4:45:36 PM
ether-jean

Thank you GordonC ;)

i'll take a look on this thread

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.