Greetings! (Yet another 'I'm new here' thread...)

Posted: 2/28/2009 9:32:42 PM
Stormdog

I've been poking around this site for a few days and thought I'd finally register and say hi.

I remember hearing about this thing called a theremin when I was growing up; it fascinated me. That's probably not surprising, since I was rather odd growing up. I guess some things don't change...

My attention was brought back to it by a piece on the instrument that I heard on my local National Public Radio station (WBEZ Chicago). Once it was over, I started googling for more info. I tend to do that when I'm struck by a new interest; I go out and read through all the easily accessible information I can get my hands on. Wikipedia is such a godsend. As well as the wikipedia articles on the theremin and it's practioners, I've poked through a few other resources, most of which lead me right back to Theremin World.

Of course, I've watched a dozen or two theremin performances on Youtube too; neat stuff!

I've been working all week at deciding what model to buy for myself. Finally, even though I nearly bought an etherwave on Ebay today (outbid at the last minute!), I've decided on the Burns B3 Deluxe and will be making a purchase as soon as I get caught up with my ledger (which I probably should have done before I nearly spent $300 earier today!).

Anyway, I'm a professional computer geek who lives in Wisconsin and works in Illinois. I'm something of an amateur photographer (I swear I'm going to get motivated and enter some of my urban ruins material in a show this year), and since last Summer I dabble at playing the drums too, an interest I expanded into after playing Rock Band on my brother's X-Box 360.

I have a friend in the area (he goes by Zell) who does a little bit of busking in Chicago and is a multi-instrumentalist. Drums are a little hard to lug around, and nobody I know locally plays any instruments who I could jam with, but I suspect Zell is just the sort of guy who'd love to make some music with me once I get my hands on a theremin that I can cart around with me.

Other random things I've been interested in at random points are technical theatre (lighting and rigging), marble roller coasters, CB and ham radio (though I'm not licensed and don't have much electronics knowledge), high voltage toys (I built my own jacob's ladder out of a neon sigh transformer; I wonder what running it in the same room as a theremin would do to the sound?), and other painfully dorky things that are currently lost in the mists that I like to call my memory.

Good to meet you all!
Posted: 3/1/2009 5:01:35 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Stormdog..
Hope you enjoy your Burns when you get it..
"[i](I built my own jacob's ladder out of a neon sigh transformer; I wonder what running it in the same room as a theremin would do to the sound?[/i])"
Word of caution! Theremin circuitry can be damaged by electrostatic discharge through the antennas, and I have heard rumour that the Burns is particularly prone to destruction of its front-end FET's..
Running your jacob's ladder while messin with your Theremin MIGHT just be asking for trouble! ;)
Also, avoid any highly static producing activity before playing.. Dont remove nylon clothing, shuffle feet on a wooly carpet, or do anything which causes sparkies in the dark.. If in doubt, touch something grounded (to discharge yourself)before playing.

If you really want to Run your jacob's ladder while messin with your Theremin, it would be worth adding a small neon discharge tube between each antenna and ground (earth).
Posted: 3/1/2009 7:26:15 PM
Thierry

Please forgive my ignorance but why should one run a jacobs ladder in the same room where one plays a theremin? As far as I remember these devices make lots of noise which risks to degrade the musical performance.
Posted: 3/1/2009 7:32:09 PM
Stormdog

Fred, you make a good point about electrostatic discharge; I'm probably better off avoiding that particular bit of experimentation. Thanks!

Thierry, I'm sure playing in the vicinity of an object that creates wide-spectrum RF interference would not be very conducive to making real music; just thought in my head it might be interesting to see if, and how, the two fields interact. I just thought it might make interesting noises. Completely tangential to the hope of making actual music on it. *grins*
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:10:11 PM
teslatheremin

Welcome to Theremin World!
Being that you are in the United States, I would guess that you could run your Jacobs Ladder and play your Theremin at the same time, IF both devices were properly grounded via a tested three prong modern outlet. And, also, for further safety, plug both devices in separate circuit breaker feeds into the house wiring.
Just my thoughts.

Good Luck!
teslatheremin
Posted: 3/2/2009 1:16:34 PM
djpb_designs

out there somewhere (might take a bit of googling...)was a post someone had about audio modulating a Tesla coil. You might be able to do the same thing with a jacob's ladder. You would want to do that on the primary side through some sort of isolation transformer in series with the primary of the neon sign transformer.

Singing sparks are very cool!

Don
Posted: 3/2/2009 1:57:47 PM
GordonC

Hi stormdog,

Singing Jacob's Ladder (http://www.dansworkshop.com/electricity-and-electronics/jacobs-ladder.htm).

:-)
Posted: 3/2/2009 4:57:26 PM
teslatheremin

Excellent, Gordon!
He always finds the 'Power Link'!
Also, search the u-tub for singing Tesla Coils.
I sure would like to control a Tesla streamer with a Theremin! YOW!
Good Luck!
teslatheremin
Posted: 3/2/2009 8:35:55 PM
djpb_designs

Not quite a singing one, but here's a fun movie just for you teslatheremin:

http://www.rocketboom.net/video/maker_faire/tesla_coils.mov
Posted: 3/3/2009 12:11:29 AM
Stormdog

Ooh, thanks for the links! I''ve actually seen singing Tesla coils before; those are awesome! In fact, there's a video on Youtube of a performence at a sci-fi/fantasty convention called Duckcon that I was actually at! I stumbled on it a few weeks ago and was just tickled to think I was actually there, even though I'm not on camera.

What an awesome link to the Jacob's ladder too! Now *that* I've never seen musically modulated. Pretty nifty! I think the electronics to make one run that way are beyond my skill set though, unfortunately. I have a friend who could probably do it though (he chastised me for buying a theremin instead of building one. Said I lose my geek cred. *grins*)

Thanks for all the welcomes!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.