CV Controller

Posted: 7/27/2009 12:06:19 AM
theremaster

Recently I've become enamored with the idea of using the theremin as a controller for an analog synth. I am looking at getting a microkorg. But the microkorg does not have a CV input/output. I was told that I would use a theremin (i want to get a theremax) audio in/out to control the microkorg, is this true?
Posted: 7/27/2009 6:29:23 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"I was told that I would use a theremin (i want to get a theremax) audio in/out to control the microkorg, is this true?" - Theremaster [/i]

I do not think this is in any way true.

You could take the Theremin Audio into the MicroKorg and use this as a source for the vocoder function (I think) and perhaps even patch this to other DSP functions in the Korg (Ring modulation, for example).. But this is NOT in ANY WAY comparable to using CV from a Theremin to control an analogue synthesiser.

If you are wanting to go the CV route, get a good Theremin with CV outputs, and get a few simple analogue modular synth components (these can be expanded into a larger system whenever you need / can afford to do so).. You need a minimum of a VCO and VCA, and really also a VCF to start with.. You can add more exotic (or non-essential) components such as ring modulators, envelope generators and other modulation sources (as well as more VCO's VCA's VCF's etc) later.

Doepfer is one supplier, there are many others.. I advise you not to go for a ready-configured system.. These tend to focus on essential modules for triggered sounds.. You do not need envelope shaping which is always included in 'standard' configurations... A keyboard does not (often) put out a CV capable of directly driving a VCA for control of volume.. The Theremin does.
Posted: 7/27/2009 4:49:12 PM
Joe Max

And furthermore, the MicroKorg is not an analog synthesizer. It's a digital emulation.

Posted: 7/27/2009 4:51:41 PM
Joe Max

Of course, probably the best analog synth to get to use with a Theremax would be one of PAIA's boxes. I suppose a FatMan synth would work with it pretty well (and PAIA will have experience linking it with a Theremax.)
Posted: 7/27/2009 4:59:16 PM
Joe Max

After a look at the PAIA site, it appears the FatMan has no CV inputs, only outputs.

So the PAIA semi-modular 9700 synth would be the choice, as it has CV inputs for VCO, VCF and VCA.

Posted: 7/27/2009 7:16:28 PM
dae23

Moog Etherwave Plus and synthesizers.com units (basically a modern Moog modular) would work too.

I would imagine they would be better than a Paia setup but that is also reflected in the cost. It would be a lot less work not having to build the theremin and the synth, though. You would make up the cost differance with your own labor and would have, possibly IMHO, a lesser set up. If you don't have at least a little technical know how (soldering and the like) building it could be daunting. However, Paia stuff isn't to bad as long as you can follow directions, solder well and have some sense about you ;) I haven't used the Paia theremin but I have built the Fatman synth and looked deeply at the 9700 modules.

This is the road I am presently on. I have yet to upgrade my Etherwave to the Plus or aquire all the nessessary .com modules so I can't fully comment on it yet (exept to say the synth.com modules are VERY nice). I dropped most of my up front cash on a CV keyboard, cabinet and mixing/ spring reverb modules (looks great but doesn't make any noise yet :)

Keep in mind if considering the cost of modules (from most any company) that one has to buy the power supply, which can add anywhere from around $40 for the Paia, on up to $200 or $300 dollars. And build or buy a cabinet to put them in. Synthesizers.com has a small wall wart style power supply with cabling for eight modules available for $95.

Moogerfoogers are like a couple of synth modules in one box that function as a stand alone unit (mostly designed for processing external audio) but they don't really have enough to make a stand alone "Moogerfooger synth" out of and they're not truly designed for that but one could do a "theremin synth". On the plus side they come with a power supply but on the minus side if you wind up with three or four of them, you wind up with three or four wall warts.

I went with the .come so I could build a fully funtioning synth with some mixing and effects in one big box with one power cord (I hate wall warts) that I could control with my theremin if I so desired.

I've thought about this kind of setup from a few different angles for a while now. If you should need any in depth advice on the theremin-CV-analog synth setup, let me know.
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:42:26 PM
dae23

I just remembered.

Check out Doepfer's Dark Energy (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm)

Everything you need (I think doing a quick review of the specs).

More simple than a Microkorg but I bet it would blow it out of the water soundwise. Looks to be the Paia Fatman Moog should have built.
Posted: 7/27/2009 9:16:12 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Remember - You DONT need envelope generators or some other modules which come with standard configurations.. What you need is as follows (examples of Doepfer modules from Doepfer (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm) ..)

VCO (A110 .. 140 Euros) 1 off.
VCA (A130 OR A131 .. Log or Linear .. 65 Euros) 1 off.
VCF (not essential but probably best to get one) (A121 150 Euros) 1 off.
Small box with transformer and PSU 75 Euros/

This comes to 280 - 430 Euros.
There ARE cheaper suppliers.. You might be able to put a suitable modular together for about 200 Euros (or less if you can construct boards from kits)

Doepfers "Dark energy" is probably fair value - but it has LFO's and an EG you do not need.. With a Theremin controller, you really want to control the synth section "by hand" .. My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on the 3 modules you can drive directly.. VCO, VCA, and VCF.. Also, Carefully match the law from your volume CV against the VCA you select.. Is the Volume CV linear? Then get a LOG VCA.. is it Log? then get a Linear VCA.. It will work with either VCA, but be much smoother if the right VCA is selected.

Posted: 7/27/2009 9:23:30 PM
dae23

Your right. I was thinking of something that could also function as a stand alone synth too.
Posted: 7/27/2009 9:38:22 PM
FredM

I have some pre-production prototype boards being manufactured at the moment- If you are not desperate to get your CV system together immediately, it is EXTREMELY likely that I will have some stuff for sale (prototype and pre-production prototype boards, and some bought-in VCO/VCA/VCF Doepfer and Analogue Solutions modules) by early October.. and be going into production of specific Theremin CV synth stuff shortly after that.. Drop me an email, and I will keep you updated. (Email embedded in my picture <---)

The Synthesisers.com (http://www.synthesizers.com/q106.html) modules seem to have a good specification, and could be a better source of modules for those in the U.S.A. (I have never tried these, so cannot recomend them - but I am not that impressed by the Analogue Solutions or Doepfer modules I have used [I am a bit fussy!] and certainly would not recomend Analogue Solutions or the Doepfer Theremin modules).

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.