Etherwave Plus, Etherwave Pro, Wavefront Classic to start studies.

Posted: 8/23/2009 7:40:27 AM
Thierry

Etherspiel,

instead of pulling it off, we should see that we solve this little problem. I couldn't reproduce it on other EPros even with completely de-tuning the volume circuit. It might rather be interesting (in order to prevent such problems eventually for others in the future). Do you still have my question list which should help us finding the cause?
Posted: 9/14/2009 1:05:04 AM
Dave H

Quick update:
As far as the Etherwave Pro goes Moog cannot help with conversion to left hand unit.
A new back wood “box”must be made. I am getting quotes from local furniture makers.
(Tricky part is wood where wooden pitch arm rotates and makes contact with metal plate.)

Also, I have been able to verify there is at least a couple of inductors and a trimming capacitor in the wooden pitch arm of the Etherwave Pro.
==================
Threads here at Theremin World have led me to believe that linearity of
the listed three theremins may be either

Best: Ethewave Pro
2nd: Wavefront Classic
3rd: Etherwave Plus

Best: Ethewave Pro
2nd: Etherwave Plus
3rd: Wavefront Classic

Which list is correct?
Posted: 9/14/2009 1:20:28 AM
Thierry

Both lists are correct...

Both, the Wavefront and the Etherwave Standard/Plus MAY BE very linear if carefully tuned, but they aren't forcibly by default.

My Etherwave has undergone "calibration" with frequency counter and oscilloscope. So I have almost 7 playable octaves, 6 of them very linear. The price for this is that the pitch tuning knob is a bit nervous. The perfect setting is a question of positioning it not roughly as most players do, but in a very precise manner following a kind of tuning algorithm. Most Etherwave players could have better linearity in the low range if they'd follow this latter procedure, even without internal tuning.

If I will have some time (which perhaps will not occur in the near future, 3 of my 4 daughters are actually ill), I'll publish an article about that.
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:43:16 AM
Dave H

Thierry:

Thanks ever so much for the detailed response.
It’s very nice to get an answer based on experience and knowledge rather than hearsay. (Two Moog dealers that I have
talked with actually had less real experience than I had hoped.)

I will give my Etherwave Plus a standard calibration first.
I am a electronic engineer so I have a scope, frequency counter and other equipment available.

Experiments will be slightly delayed as I am just now setting up “the lab” in our new home.
If your calibration is different in some fashion I look forward to your article.
(But please no rush as family always comes first.)

Sorry to hear about your daughters. I hope all goes well in that regard.

As an additional thought are you aware of any calibration instructions or methods in
reference to the Etherwave Pro?
(I bought it used and would love to have it "perfect".)

I have one of the earlier serial numbers (0186) and I am trying to sort out what
types of modifications were done during the production run of the Etherwave Pro.

Followed by what mods have been done on this unit and which ones were not.

But in any case. Thanks again.

Dave

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.