Zep Theremin - Same Sound

Posted: 12/14/2009 1:14:08 PM
DavidJGreene

Due to my CP (Cerebral palsy) I needed to part ways with my Moog and get a pitch only theremin. Based on recommendations I got a Zep. My question is does it make the same sounds as other Theremins? I'd like to use it to practice, and move to a more professional model later.

I added a foot pedal for volume, but the sound quality still seems different. Anything I can do differently, or is there another pitch only model you would recommend?

Thanks!
Posted: 12/14/2009 11:15:19 PM
Thomas Grillo

Sorry to hear you needed to switched from the etherwave.

You could easily have kept it, and simply put the dynamics pedal on it like with the pitch only, and played it as if it were pitch only.

At any rate, Most pitch only theremins lack a means of changing the tonal charactor.

However, you can get some change with the EQ on your amp or sound system. Also, using different effects gear can give you a wider palet of sound capabilities.

I don't yet have the zep my self, and have only heard it in a few youtube vids of bands using it.

There are plenty of pitch only theremins on the market.

One of my students recently demoed his theremaniacs pitch only which, to me sounds a little like the etherwave.

I wish I had access to more theremins to create a tonal charactor database with.

Posted: 12/14/2009 11:17:25 PM
Thomas Grillo

I forgot to add that you might want to consider a dynamics pedal that has a spring in it so you could to stacattos as well as more graceful dynamics.
Posted: 3/24/2013 5:18:09 AM
FRUSCIANTE5

hi, i have a zep theremin, but the IC was damage, when i decided to change it the number of the IC was deleted.can you tell me the model or the number of the IC? a lot of thanks

Posted: 3/24/2013 11:52:17 AM
Thierry

You should contact Dan Burns. The IC is part of his production secret and that's why he builds his instruments in a way that the model number will not be recognizable...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.