DIY Advice???

Posted: 10/23/2011 5:46:06 PM
Luclay

I want a theremin, but do not want to spend big bucks on one. I do have an electronic casio keyboard with 1/4 audio output jack and I have an amp. Is there any way I can convert/reassemble my keyboard to construct a theremin?

I figure this is the best place to ask, hope you can help!
Posted: 10/23/2011 6:26:13 PM
RS Theremin

Luclay,

Everyone begins their theremin journey from someplace different. I remember my humble beginning and evolving theremin designs from parts I only purchased at Radio Shack. The theremin community laughed at me. Today I am still evolving and still learning, and they are still laughing but for different reasons.

Your post above is original but I don’t think anyone would know how to properly respond to it?

Posted: 10/23/2011 7:06:36 PM
Thierry

Keep the amp, you'll still need it. But you don't need the keyboard, so sell it. Depending on which sum you get for it, you may buy a Burns B3 DeLuxe theremin (200$) or still better a Moog Etherwave Standard theremin (400$).

But if money is already now a problem, how will you pay a teacher and the travel costs (there aren't many theremin professionals who teach in the US)???

Are you sure that you will make the financial and musical effort and practice hard during several years? Have you been told that the theremin is more difficult to play than the violin?

As Clara Rockmore, the world's best and most renowned theremin virtuosa said: "It is of course advisable - even necessary - to first learn to read music and have at least elementary knowledge of theory - harmony etc., by starting music lessons on the piano - just as all violinists do."

A first methodical approach may be found here: http://www.electrotheremin.com/Method.pdf.

Hope this helps!
Posted: 10/23/2011 7:28:34 PM
RS Theremin

Could Europe have been Raptured the other day. I feel warmth emanating from the other side of the cool waters.

Luclay you seem younger, do you know how to solder properly? This will be the key to any success you have in the future. When I soldered 50 years ago it looked like B-B’s on the circuit board.

Where on our little planet are you located, this is always important to me, also your email address is hidden from the public so post it on the board and maybe you will receive private contact from a theremin elf, really!

Posted: 10/23/2011 7:51:22 PM
Thierry

It's not a question of warmth, but a first check to see if the person who started this topic is really serious about playing the theremin. That's why I sometimes try to raise the hurdle somewhat... I've perhaps already seen too much "I just got my new theremin - wooooooooo-eeeeeeeeee-oooooooo" videos on YouTube...
Posted: 10/23/2011 9:44:58 PM
Luclay

I did some more research, and buying new may be the way to go for me... I don't expect to have a teacher, but I have musical experience playing the trombone for 6 years, piano for 9, guitar for 3, trumpet for 2, tuba for 3... its kind of a hobby of mine to learn instruments. I just saw some theremins online, and thought they were very interesting- wanted to know if there was a "easy" way to make one for not a huge cost. I'm not incredibly serious about this, but I am glad to see the dedicated community to these instruments. I will probably buy a pre-assembled theremin at some point (thanks for the suggestions!) and thanks for the help.
Posted: 10/23/2011 9:46:34 PM
Luclay

and RS Theremin, I am from the US- I'll make my email public...
Posted: 10/23/2011 9:49:53 PM
Luclay

I'm not sure if it went public. anyway it is luclay@charter.net

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.