Post your Silicon Chip/Jaycar kit questions here!

Posted: 6/3/2005 11:06:10 AM
blackdiscoball

mathflan Did you ever figure out what was going on with your multimeter readings? I am running in to the same problem and I can't figure out how to tune and and go from their. Im only getting a 2.8 v reading on one of the pins and a 3.2 on the other? Does anybody know what Im doing wronge or what to check? Thanks
Posted: 6/3/2005 11:10:03 AM
blackdiscoball

sorry I meant kdawg not mathflan in my last post.
Posted: 6/4/2005 3:08:41 PM
ianbargle

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site (I just built my silicon chip jiffy box theremin a couple of months ago). It works just fine. Anyway, I'm trying to build a copy, but I don't know the inductance ranges on the tunable coils (T1-T4). Does anyone have the numbers for that?
Posted: 6/7/2005 9:48:58 PM
Abdulkn

The coils are standard AM Radio IF coils which you should be able to pick up at any decent electronics store or Radio Amateur outlet. You'll usually get them as a set of four.

If you're in the UK, check out "Radio Rallies" The Summer Season brings the start of such events. Here's a list:
http://www.rsgb.org.uk/events/contents.htm

Check out:
http://www.surplussales.com/Inductors/Ind-SmAdjRF/Ind-SmAdjRF-1.html

or, email Graeme at thereminkits in Aus. I'm sure he'll put you in touch with suppliers.

Ciao

Abdul
Posted: 6/8/2005 1:46:05 AM
ianbargle

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm in the US. I found a set of tunable IF coils on the Dick Smith Electronics website (Australia's answer to Fry's Electronics) after I made the post. Shipping to the US would cost about $15 (for a $1 part!)!!! Here's the link for anyone who's interested:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a686750c48f1222740c0a87f9c074b/Product/View/R5040
I'll keep searching for a US carrier, but no luck so far. I would appreciate any more advice (where to find them in the US, for instance). Thanks again!
--ianbargle
Posted: 6/8/2005 1:48:33 AM
ianbargle

Oh...just followed your link, Abdul...I suppose Nebraska is in the US, isn't it? Thanks for the link.
--ianbargle
Posted: 6/12/2005 9:27:36 PM
Abdulkn

Hi there..

I'm glad it been useful!

Good luck!

Abdul
Posted: 6/28/2005 10:01:12 PM
ThereminKid

Does anyone have the 2000 issue of Silicon Chip? Also, how would I go about replacing the disc that comes with the Jay Car kit and using a bent one?
Posted: 6/30/2005 4:56:52 PM
superjudi89

I am totally new to soldering and electronics and stuff, and I bought the Jaycar kit...as expected, im having some trouble (some being a whole lot). So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where there were really good pictures of how the board is supposed to look (top and bottom) and if they knew how to attach the IC pieces, becasue I'm at a loss. Any help you can give would be awesome, just try to give it in really dumbed down terms...
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:57:43 AM
kirky

Hi, I bought a kit and i am a complete novice at electronics, however I asembled the kit and callibrated it by ear without a multimeter thing, the pitch and volume work o.k. but my problem is there is also a loud buzzing as well as the proper tone, like feedback or interference, which is constant, pitch and volume do not effect it,volume knob makes it louder, and when the volume knob is reduced to a minimum you can still hear it. Does anyone know, is this likey to be from my messy soldering, it looks globy but appears not to cross any tracks, or is it a calibration issue? any help would be much appreciated.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.