looking for part for Moog's 1954 theremin

Posted: 10/28/2007 11:52:51 AM
Alan_in_CA

I don't know if it will be any help or not, but you can see a photo of the coil winding device I made at www.abarbour.net/tmax.html as well as the difference in quality between the first and second coils I made (practice helps). It was very easy to burn the lacquer off the 30 gauge laquered wire with a cigarette lighter where I wanted to make a connection; heavier wire seems to require a knife.
Posted: 10/28/2007 12:52:26 PM
Iron

Thank you for the info.

Well i am lucky, i got a small,old manual coil winder, it even has a turn counter attached to it!

Did you make the wooden cabinet too?
It is a nice work!
Posted: 10/28/2007 3:33:12 PM
Alan_in_CA

Yes, I made the cabinet--stainable wood filler and sanding can cover up a lot of mistakes. The trick was finding the wood--some very nicely cut 6 mm oak in a variety of widths, intended I think for patching wooden floors and cabinets. Having that, I could cut it to length fairly well with primitive hand tools.

A manual coil winder with a turn counter? Marvellous!
Posted: 10/28/2007 4:07:22 PM
Iron

The matter is that this machine originally wind the turns crossing each other, like you see it on a simple thread.
Like you see it in this link,here (http://www.bignick.net/images/RadioPix/GridDipCoil.jpg)
But i can also wind the coils normally.

Does it mattter if i wind with this , or the other technique?
Does it change the inductance value of the coil?
Posted: 10/28/2007 10:07:04 PM
teslatheremin

Iron,
I sure would love to see a picture of that over-lap coil winder you have acquired. Over-lapped coils were designed and specifically made to inhibit RF for choking purposes.

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 10/29/2007 2:47:50 AM
Iron

Hi!
So i can basically wind RF chokes with this device, right?
The mechanics is not too complicated though, as one would think.

With some tweaking i think i can modify this winder to be able to wind those normal coils.

Ok i shoot some pics.

Posted: 10/29/2007 4:09:08 PM
Dayfan

A picture of the Stanwyck coils used to build the theremin are at:
members.tde.com/mmckeown/ThereminPics/stanwyckCoils.jpg
Posted: 10/29/2007 6:17:19 PM
Iron

Thank you for posting this!
This helps some to reverse-engineer them.

By the way, is the Stanwyck LHO-2 an over-lap winded coil?
I can't see the wires in the picture clearly...
Posted: 10/29/2007 8:12:43 PM
Iron

Here are the requested pics of my coil winder:
[img]http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/071030/DSCN4790_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg[/img] (http://kepfeltoltes.hu/view/071030/DSCN4790_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg)
[img]http://kepfeltoltes.hu/thumb/071030/DSCN4793_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg[/img] (http://kepfeltoltes.hu/view/071030/DSCN4793_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg)

I put a box of maches near it to show the size.
Not a sophisticated, professional instrument, but definitely better than nothing!

Well as you can see this poor machine needs some restoration first. Its dirty, might use some machine oil and cleaning.
The rotating shaft is broken down.
Need to replace it.
And i am going to put a small wheel on the wire guide shaft(what swings side-to-side while winding the coil), i think there WERE one but tore down as well...

Notice that big brass disk with two smaller ones.

The smaller ones are made of rubber, they touch the brass disk softly. It functions as some kind of
tear protection. If the wire jams in somewhere and start to tighten, those rubber wheelies lose their grip and not allow me to accidentally tear the sensitive copper wire.
This is the "clutch" of the machine :)

The counter works smoothly. However it counts in both winding directions, but its not a problem.
Posted: 10/29/2007 10:13:44 PM
teslatheremin

Iron,
The .jpeg links that you have posted load extremely slow, probably due to extreme server jumping. Please, send those .jpg files as attachments to dinahmaya 'at' yahoo.com.

Of course, replace 'at' with the '@' sign.

I think you have a potential gold-mine.
The RF chokes that the machine you possess can wind are almost non-existent. When these particular RF chokes are available from old manufactured stock, they are expensive.
Many tube, tesla coilers and high-voltage enthusiasts would love to have a moderately priced source for the RF chokes that you can produce with that winding machine.
I just thought you should know.

Good Luck!

teslatheremin

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.