Theremin as a variable resistor

Posted: 5/1/2006 3:54:39 AM
pneumanon

Greetings,

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use the principle of the theremin to create a simple variable resistor, like a potentiometer. I'm not looking to create any sound with this, just to provide variable resistance via the "capacitance" of a very simple theremin. The end result to attempt to make an expression pedal minus the pedal part, with an antenna in its place. Hopefully this made sense. :\

~pneumanon
Posted: 5/1/2006 12:48:40 PM
DiggyDog

I have seen something like this on Ebay but I think is it using an optical sensor as opposed to being a true theremin.

I know some of the theremins out there have CV outputs which would probably do the trick...
Posted: 5/1/2006 8:13:05 PM
GordonC

Like this? http://www.zvex.com/wahprobe.html

From the Z VEX website:

"The probe circuit generates a small (one or two inches high) "bubble" of RF energy at about a million cycles per second above the copper plate. As your foot or hand (or any wet or metallic object, for that matter) approaches the copper plate, the RF field is disturbed and the circuit reacts by increasing the brightness of an LED, which drives a photoresistive cell and controls the Z. Vex wah circuit."

Posted: 5/17/2006 5:29:14 PM
wgardiner

you had the same question i had, but mine was for music. I was going to use a inductor as a pot then use it in a simple square wave generator as the pot to control pitch. Also maybe it could be used as a pwd motor controller.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.