Theremin 145 antenna

Posted: 4/10/2007 3:01:33 PM
Peter

Hello all,

Since this is my first post here I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking a question straight away. Perhaps a little introduction : I'm Peter, 35 years old from the Netherlands. Electronics are a hobby and a way of making a living for me. Problem is : the last time a did some HF electronics is about 10 years ago so the knowledge has gone a little. I'm more into microcontrollers nowerdays. Perhaps a little 'midification' of the theremin I'm going to build can happen along the way......

I'm interested in building a theremin. Since I like discrete designs I'm planning on builing the 145 Theremin on Art's theremin page. I thought about the The Glasgow Digital Theremin
but I have read on this forum that it's not recommended to built it.

So the 145 and my two questions :

1) Do the antenna have to be flat pieces of aluminium or is it also possible to use tubelike antenna's like on a radio?

2) I guess a reoccuring one : the miller 4652 coils. Can they be replaced by a better available coil or did anyone made them his/herself?

I'm hoping I'm not asking questions which already have been answered... I search but found nothing about the above.

Thanks in advance !

Peter

Posted: 4/10/2007 3:47:39 PM
DiggyDog

No problem. we love to help the newbies out and will not get upset if you ask questions.

1. You can pretty much use any kind of metal for the antennas. As long as it's metal and doesn;t wiggle too much it should be fine.

2. This one is not quite as easy to answer but I know some people have rolled their own.

Welcome to the board!
Posted: 4/11/2007 8:55:52 AM
Peter

Hello Diggydog,

thanks for the reply. Reason for the antenna question is that I don't like the look of the two aluminium plate antenna's.

Accidently I came across the website of Albert Kreuezer.(www.albertkreuzer.com) He made a 145 with Neosid coils !
I guess my question was to fast (or my search to long)

To be continued !

ps : is it true that the Glasgow Digital Theremin is an unstable 'hard to get working' design?

Peter

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.