Recommended hardware suppliers?

Posted: 6/19/2007 4:00:10 AM
kidelectric

Just trying to figure out how I am going to wrap up construction (and throw a few mods) on my PAiA TMax (eager to get this thing done and start practicing)

Anybody have suggestions for where to find specialized electronics components? Perhaps I may be able to find a local store that sells such pieces... what kind of store would have things like these:

- Telescoping antennae (radio/walkie-talkie/TV variety... up to 2' or so, with male screw mount)
- Phone plug jacks (ungrounded mono like the ones included with TMax or, particularly, grounded ones to prevent interference/signal when an audio input is not inserted)
- SPDT (single-pole dual-throw) switches which will allow switching between various circuit routes for mods/gimmicks, and to be mounted into case (not on PCB) near the pots

I know many of you might get your parts locally rather than internet/mail-order, but even if so... what kind of store would likely have these? (I haven't checked Home Depot type stores,but I know Radio Shack does not have any of these things other than the audio jacks)

Thanks!
Posted: 6/19/2007 9:38:40 PM
Jeff S

Even though Radio Shack is not a real "electronics" store anymore, I know the ones in my area would have the jack(s) and switch(es). The antenna?....maybe.

With all of the inexpensive, mass-produced electronics available these days, finding a real, (hobbyist, do-it-yourself) electronics store locally is getting harder all the time.

Your best bet is online, starting with the big three...Allied Electronics, Mouser, and Digi-Key.

A Google search for "electronics, parts, components, etc..." will net you even more hits, although not all of them will be useful to you. And, there always Antique Electronics Supply for some odds and ends depending on what you're looking for.

Beyond that, for discontinued parts there are a few vendors, and there's always eBay. Otherwise, you may have to ask someone for a slight redesign to use readily available parts.

Good luck!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.