How difficult is it to built this kit

Posted: 7/2/2007 1:38:51 PM
felix333

Hello everyone,
After I tried to play a Theremin the first time,I´m interrested in getting one for private use at home. I found this Link: Theremin Kit (http://thereminkits.com)
How difficult is it to solder this board?
I hardly soldered more than a few LED´s and some resistors. Is there any special knowledge required?
On the website it was asserted that "you don´t need to be an electronic expert to complete the kit", but I don´t really believe this.
Should I better buy an expansive complete Theremin (maybe an Etherwave)?
Thanks for your help
Felix
Posted: 7/2/2007 10:52:47 PM
teslatheremin

Greetings!
Soldering is easy with the right solder and soldering iron. The solder should be specially made for electronics. The iron should be in the 10 to 15 Watt range. I do not know how Autralia designates power consumption for an electrical device.
Hold the iron on the circuit board connection pad with inserted part wire, or lug, and press the solder against the same until it melts over the part wire,(or lug), and the circuit board connection pad. The solder joint should be 'shiney', but don't worry about that so much as not over-heating the parts that you are soldering or the circuit board pad. Resistors can take the most heat, then Capacitors Integrated Circuit chips, or 'IC' s, can take the least heat before part failure.
If you have access to an electronics parts store such as 'Radio Shack', you may be able to buy an IC circuit board sockets. One can solder the socket to the circuit board and then plug the appropriate IC into the socket, thus alleviating the worry of over-heating an IC.

Any other questions, post here.

Good-Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 7/3/2007 6:36:46 AM
felix333

Hello,
I see,it is not as hard as I believed.
What can you say about this Theremin generally?
Is it capable to produce a "nice" sound,or, is it worth its money?
Thanks again
Felix
Posted: 7/3/2007 4:30:15 PM
omhoge

hey teslatheremin
>>"Soldering is easy with the right solder and soldering iron"
I'm not a solder jockey but do it sometimes. While we're asking "is it worth the money". Have you used those cool to the touch solder irons? Apparently they come in a couple different power capacities, and I've been thinking that one of them would help me at least catch up on my tin knickknack repairs. Setting up the plug in the wall one is just enough to put them off indefinitely.
thanks

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.