Alternative housing for an Etherwave

Posted: 7/7/2007 11:11:47 PM
wobblebottom

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Moog Etherwave, and while it hasn't actually arrived (shipping from california via ups ground :() I am more excited for this thing to arrive than pretty much anything i have ever purchased before.

I was wondering if anyone has ever modded this particuar theremin to be housed in some other case.
I have in my possession a very old rca radio box. It's quite lovely really. The insides are all jibbered as I found it while doing relief work in New Orleans. The woman whose house we were gutting told me to keep it since it hadn't worked in like 15 years anyway. At any rate, I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this subject, and whether anyone has any advice on how to swap housing.

Thanks.
Posted: 7/7/2007 11:36:16 PM
buddy_craigg

that will be pretty easy.
you could have saved yourself a few bucks and bought the "kit" but it's done.

i documented my experience of putting the kit together and someone here was supposed to use the information to make a webpage. it would probably help you with this. but i dont know if it ever actually happened.

at any rate, WELCOME to your new addiction.
and ask any questions you come up with.

buddy craigg
Posted: 7/8/2007 8:10:02 AM
omhoge

Yes absolutely, folks have done many different chassis. I know I've seen one in an antique radio case but cannot find it right now.

Keep searching, though, it's there somewhere.
And there's ton of kit info in the forum here, worth taking a look.
It shouldn't be that difficult to do.

Hope you get to play a bit when it comes too.
Keep us posted, it's a fun adventure.

[added later]
ah-ha, not the one I was thinking of but found one at least, don't know it floats in mid air though http://www.danacountryman.com/Theremin.html
http://www.danacountryman.com/OtisAndTheremin.JPG
Looks like the guy also performs on a big old moog synth and his combo partner plays the Ondioline (really rare!), good to see other great old instruments out on the stage with the theremin as well.
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:47:58 PM
wobblebottom

Thanks for the replies fellas!

My theremin will be here on Tuesday, and i can't wait. I chose the etherwave because the Moog name is one i am familiar with. I was super lucky one day driving through a small town in Illinois to find a minimoog model d at a garage sale. I paid the lady $50 for it, and went home a VERY happy person. At any rate, I find the theremin to be immensely awesome and look forward to modding, and playing my new Etherwave. My first task is to learn "Never gonna give you up" by Rick Astley. Strange aspirations I know, but if it sounds odd to you I suggest watching the music video again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

enjoy!

Posted: 7/9/2007 10:54:30 PM
Jason

Whatever case you pick, try to keep the antennas about the same distance apart as in the original Etherwave case. This will cut down on the amount of re-tuning you'll need to do once you have it re-housed. Expect a bit of fiddling with the inductor coils, as the unit is pre-tuned at the factory to account for the wooden shoebox case's characteristics.

Maybe this would be a good thread for folks to post links to their custom Etherwave cases?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.