replica RCA Antennas

Posted: 9/3/2007 3:51:23 PM
rudd

Hi, I am new here. A friend is building a replica period theremin, I made these antennas for him.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o85/ruddlong/DSCN9788.jpg

It was an interesting project. Would be open to building more. He wanted them left natural brass, I am trying to find a plater that can do the antique nickle finish of the originals.
Posted: 9/3/2007 6:21:33 PM
hypergolic

These are for my Keppinger project. I know Rudd, and from the photos, I can't wait to see them.

Philip
Posted: 9/3/2007 6:53:10 PM
Jeff S

Great job Rudd! Philip should be very happy with his new antennas.

Just out of curiosity, how did you go about bending the loop. Did you have any issues (crimping, kinking)? I have three sets I still need to bend and put together myself.
Posted: 9/3/2007 9:18:48 PM
Jeff S

I just checked the original RCA pamphlet, owners manual, and service notes. There is no mention of an "antique" nickel finish on the antennas. As a matter of fact, there's no mention of the finish at all.

Not that there weren't efforts made to deceive back then, but I think the idea of "antiquing" became more prevalent towards the later half of the twentieth century from a fondness for the "good old days". (Guilty as charged.)

I would imagine the RCA theremin antennas had a standard, "new" nickel plating. The "antiquing" no doubt came from actual age.

When researching this last year, I found a few local companies and several online companies that do nickel plating, as well as many other finishes. The trick is finding one that will do low volume, specialty work like this.
Posted: 9/3/2007 10:36:56 PM
Alan_in_CA

Those certainly DO look good! Bent with a jig?
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:18:59 PM
rudd

The plating co. I have talked to (that has not yet given me a quote) said that "antique nickle" means a non-glossy but more "semi-gloss" finish, is this correct? They threatend to quote me "electroless nickel", but have not made good on the threat. I am open to information about original finishes, but the things can be finished any way some one wants.
Bending was one of my "pucker factor" moments, but was suprisingly easy. I just did not want to re-order from the one supplier I found for the spec'd tubing, as they are kinda flakey from past experience. Any one need a mess of 12L14 1" cold drawn rounds? I cancelled my order for non-shipment, and it showed up on my doorstep anyway.
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:54:15 PM
Jeff S

Ah..I guess that would mean it isn't polished to a mirror finish then. It would probably be best to ask someone who was actually alive back then.
Posted: 9/4/2007 12:01:53 PM
rudd

I said antique nickel as that is what Uncle Howie over at levnet said. He is evidently da man. The plating company I talked to said electroless nickel yields what is termed antique nickel. When I read up on the process, it seems to be the only way you could plate the shapes involved.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/MetalCoatings/Electroless.htm
Posted: 9/4/2007 12:35:25 PM
hypergolic

I just picked the antennas up from Rudd.

They're fabulous.

Philip
Posted: 9/4/2007 11:38:38 PM
misfit8d6

philip and friends...looks like levnetters lurk around here too! :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.