Kees box size?

Posted: 9/5/2007 2:28:06 AM
Alan_in_CA

I am going to make my own box for my Theremax, and given the readily available materials that appeal to me (quarter-inch red oak pieces from Home Depot), it looks to me like I will end up with a shape and size about like a Kees. Would one of you Kees owners out there be so good as to lay a ruler on the box and tell me its dimensions? Thanks in advance!--Alan
Posted: 9/5/2007 4:12:24 AM
GordonC

Kees: 395 x 135 x 80mm

Etherwave Standard: 460 x 140 x 65mm

That's width x depth x height - don't confuse them. Remember the story of the two blondes landing a plane.

-- "OMG! The runway is so short!"

-- "Yes, but look how wide it is!"

:-)
Posted: 9/5/2007 10:08:21 AM
Alan_in_CA

Thanks, Gordon. And for woodworking I normally work in inches, so here's another story--about the Englishman in the early days of metrification who needs some manure for his garden. Having very carefully converted from cubic yards to liters, goes to the garden supply store and asks for the quantity he wants. The clerk tells him, "You can have as much as you want, mate, but here we sell it by the shovel."
Posted: 9/5/2007 10:38:06 AM
GordonC

:-)

I worked for a while in a timber yard. The width of a plank was measured in inches, the thickness in millimetres and the width in metric feet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_foot).
Posted: 9/5/2007 9:47:50 PM
Jeff S

Metric feet! Good grief!
Imperial is still my first language, but I can work in either format. I wish we'd all just switch to metric and get it overwith.
For Pete's sake, even half of the alien's on Star Trek use the metric system!
Posted: 9/8/2007 11:40:55 PM
Alan_in_CA

Metric feet are a new one on me; when I was taking my engineering physics classes in college (in the U.S.) more years ago than I care to admit, we encountered some hybrid systems of measurement, where the kilogram was used as a unit of force rather than mass, for instance. Even in purely English units, how many people actually work in slugs (the English unit of mass)? Metrification in the U.S. was slowed down a lot by Ronnie Reagan. I once knew a Japanese professor who was old enough to remember when the Japanese government made the total switch to metric units obligatory. He told of the weights and measures folks visiting every shop; non-metric measuring devices, be they rules, scales, whatever, were either confiscated or destroyed on the spot. It worked.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.