No PAiA Theremax Volume (banging head)

Posted: 5/7/2008 2:50:15 AM
GTJ

I'm having the exact same problem with my Theremax.

Right now I've got a nice sound coming out with the jumper between the diode and volume pot. But without it, nothing audible until I crank the amplifier's volume WAY up and dial down L4 (volume oscillator). I hear a faint pitch that I can tweak with the pitch control, but still not getting any control from the volume antenna.

Any suggestions on where I can start to look on the circuit to isolate where the problem is coming from?
Posted: 5/7/2008 10:56:13 AM
Thierry

It seems that your volume osc doesn't oscillate or if it does, not on the frequency it should. You should check this with an oscilloscope.
Posted: 5/8/2008 4:07:23 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Many, Many years ago, before I got my first scope, and was building audio kit, the problems of 'no sound' dogged many projects I undertook.. A neat simple tool which helps a lot is a small Piezo (high impedence) earphone.. Put a croc clip on one end, and a resistor (at least 1k, 10k is better, 1M variable resistor is best) between the other end and a probe..

With this, you can clip to ground, and go probing the circuit to find where there is audio, and trace any breaks / faulty pots / wiring errors etc.

But BE SURE you ONLY do this with battery or low voltage circuits!
Posted: 5/9/2008 7:35:00 AM
Thierry

Fred, I´m not sure he will hear the volume oscillator working at 796 kHz with a crystal earpiece...

I recently bought a UT-81B pocket LCD oscilloscope/multimeter for only 160 EUR from a chinese dealer on ebay. The 8MHz bandwith at 40MHz sample rate is enough for working with theremins and the display is fine when working in stand-alone mode.

The only problem for me is that the included PC optical/serial to usb interface and software work only under MS Windows and I could not yet find a solution running under Fedora8 Linux.
Posted: 5/9/2008 8:35:09 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Fred, I´m not sure he will hear the volume oscillator working at 796 kHz with a crystal earpiece..."

True! :) There are quite a few limitations using a xtal earpiece, and nothing beats a scope.. but, debugging problems on the audio circuitry (after the mixer / filter) where frequencies of 20Hz to 10kHz are present, an earpiece is better than nothing..

Posted: 5/9/2008 10:37:43 PM
FredM

I have removed this posting and edited the last - I fear I may unintentionally hijacked this thread.. Sorry!
Posted: 5/9/2008 11:11:28 PM
teslatheremin

Fred,
I love the 5/8/2008 4:07:23 PM post about the earpiece tracer! It is now in my bag of de-bugging tricks!

There are many PAiA Theremax 'guys' here at Theremin World that can offer help in this thread, if they can, or want. Coaching a new builder thru a medium experience kit build like the Theremax can be--- well--- a challenge.
I think your particular talents could be best focused on the TheraSynth. ;) Hey-Hey!

Good Luck!

tesaltheremin

Posted: 5/11/2008 3:12:28 PM
FredM

"I think your particular talents could be best focused on the TheraSynth. ;) "

Thanks Tesla - You ar right!

I suppose I get into these 'other' threads as a easy distraction from what I 'should' be doing.. It is a form of relaxation rather than 'work'.. Also, it is extremely useful to see the kinds of problems people have with kits.. I intend producing kits, and am compiling a list of frequent problems people are having, so that I can find ways to avoid these on my products.

Main areas I have identified are a)Power supply problems- wrong polarity etc.. I intend to supply my boards with at least a few components fitted, and a bridge rectifier on the power input is a definite (this way no-one could cause difficult-to-fix faults by supplying wrong polarity voltage, or AC).. b) Most problems seem to be related to external wiring - so I will probably supply pre-wired (soldered) sockets and potentiometers etc..

Also, adding a simple debugging tool with the kit might not be a bad idea - And could save me lots of time in supporting people who have construction problems.

All this observation etc does take time away from my 'primary' task - sorry to everyone waiting for the products! .. But I am a pedantic sort of person - And I want to get things as close to perfect as possible!

This is all from me re my stuff - Tesla is right, and I also think I have been guilty of clutterring this thread with irrelevant trivia.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.