Installing an Etherwave Plus Kit Field Upgrade

Posted: 3/28/2010 10:45:01 AM
Thierry

Today I undertook this surgery for the very first time and took some 25 pictures and made some annotations which might be helpful for others. I published all on Facebook but I set the privacy to "public" so that even non-Facebook members may have a look on the album: Click here

Coffee blotches and cigar ash on the workbench aren't requirements but are the expression of my personal working style...

Posted: 12/2/2011 6:36:55 PM
profh

Thank you Monsieur Thierry. My complete Etherwave Plus Kit (not a Field Upgrade) shipped without any Plus assembly instructions, as have others, so your photos saved the day.

Two notes. First - I surmised that the solder pads for the LED power indicator were shaped square for positive and round for negative. That worked for me.

Second - in my kit, there is a N5819 diode across the Ground and 12V+ solder pads in the row where the four wire connector solders. I did not see such a diode at that point on the instrument you modified and assuming it is for polarity protection,  I left it soldered to the PCB after adjusting it so the four connector wires would clear.

At this point, the instrument seems to work as designed and acting upon your warning from a previous post, I placed a small square of blue masking tape over the adjustment hole of variable inductor L5 so I will remember not to tamper with it unless I use a frequency counter.

Thanks again and Joyeux Noël. GCH

Posted: 12/3/2011 9:43:04 PM
Thierry

The diode can be taken away when connecting something at the expansion port. It is not for polarity protection since the instrument has an 14V AC power supply input. It had been added to the 211-D board revision because the volume oscillator could pull the V+ rail too much down during power up and power down which could kill the 78L12 voltage regulator. As soon that there is additional load connected, be it the Plus kit or the ESPE01 module, there is no more need for the diode.

The problem has been solved by a slight modification of the volume oscillator so that this diode will not be needed in later board revisions.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.