Flying on Planes

Posted: 4/14/2005 10:13:13 AM
Hilton

I was wondering if it is safe to send a theremin through airport security. Im flying somewhere and want to bring my theremin. Will the x-rays and magnetic wands and such hurt anything in the insturment? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted: 4/14/2005 11:24:52 AM
Cortex 007

your biggest problem is explaining the device. You might need to bring a miniamp to play it for security (that is, after your body cavity search)
Posted: 4/15/2005 8:35:16 AM
DiggyDog

I don't think anything bad will happen to the instrument but I would reccomend bringing along the manual or some info to show them what it is.

If it is going to be checked-in just put the manual with it in the suitcase so they will at least have a clue.
Posted: 5/4/2005 1:43:52 PM
dulcimoo

Well as long as your bringing your amp ...
... bring some yellow tape (to mark a control exclusion zone) and a hat for ppl to throw money in and a sine that reads [depending]

Help keep the history of electonic moosic alive or

[as I expect in my case]

I'll stop playing when I get $100 ]:8)
Posted: 5/5/2005 4:58:43 PM
Vic

I took my theremin on a cruise -- long story -- to Mexico; so getting out of the country AND flying.

Go to your customs office and get a US customs certification that this is a musical instrument that you bought in this country. (I don't remember the name of the form). Yes, they x ray it. Yes, they opened the bag and checked it out; but that form went a long way toward officially explaining what the thing was and it made airports MUCH easier. I had to have the form to get the theremin back into the United States from Mexico anyway without paying duty on it...

Posted: 5/5/2005 10:11:23 PM
DiggyDog

....and my wife thought I was nuts because I wanted to take mine on our cruise to Mexico....

I am glad I am not the only one.
Posted: 5/7/2005 9:52:42 PM
dulcimoo

Not nuts. An instrament grows on you and becomes part of you. You go in to withdraws with out it. In the before times I took my bassoon, and then my dulcimer everyware. I'd play my dulcimer all over the place. Any time I had free time I'd be playing. It's easyer to do when you don't need electricity.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.