So you shouldn't use a guitar amp?

Posted: 7/26/2005 11:07:28 AM
user

I really don't think you can "burn out" an amp over time. If the output level is high enough to damage the circuit, it will do it right away.

The issue is that, unless you adjust your theremin output level to match the guitar amp, you can't turn up the volume on your amp very high and you lose some control range on your volume antenna.

Matching the output level to the amp that you are using will enable the full capacity of the amp. Then the only question is the quality of the amp.
Posted: 7/27/2005 12:58:21 PM
bfbacon

I'm coming from the home audio DIY enthusiast angle...Since the Theremin outputs a line level signal, I think this is a good reason (excuse) for building some sort of Theremin practice amp/Karaoke machine with a 2-way loudspeaker, inputs for microphone/guitar mixer, CD player and/or Theremin, powered by a home Hi-Fi plate amp. More like a powered monitor than a guitar combo amp.
Posted: 7/28/2005 2:46:14 PM
user

I'm with you there, I'm thinking about the possibility of building a PA type system with a full equalizer board and a reverb, feeding into a diamond shaped speaker modeled after the orginal Theremin system.

Have to figure out a way to make the speaker portable, though.
Posted: 7/31/2005 9:51:34 PM
loudestenemy

Im using a bass amp and other analog gear to further augment the sound of my recently purched etherwave. Because of the high notes I use the amp just for its built in effects which give me alot of flexibillity.....plus with the added analog stomp box that i have...i think i have a fairly unique sound.

If i played live I think i woudl go with its natural tone, else adding a tad bit of reverb because im a purist like that.
Eric

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.