TVox - TVox Tour Theremin?

Posted: 1/31/2007 1:40:06 PM
omhoge

Has any one heard if the TVox,
TVox Tour Theremin is back in production
and available at all...
anywhere?

Last I heard was from Wilco that it was not being made at that time but there were plans for it to come back.

I'm in the U.S.
thanks gang!
Posted: 1/31/2007 3:04:10 PM
Alexander

Last I heard of it was from Hypnotique - apparently only about 400 were made. Great Theremins, but I dunno if we'll see them again.
Posted: 2/1/2007 7:12:57 AM
unclechristo

yes they seem unnattainable now. They have a midi out I understand.
Also is the theremin of choice for Barbara Buchholz. Lydia K seems to use one sometimes. Hypnotique has one too.
Posted: 2/5/2007 5:48:56 AM
GordonC

I didn't notice a midi-out on Hypnotique's tVox. It does have a very neat way of calibrating the volume antenna by pressing a button and holding your hand where you want maximum volume to be.

Lydia plays the tVox pretty much exclusively since her Tony Henk theremin died.

I asked Lydia's husband about the tVox yesterday afternoon. He gave up making them when the demands on his time became too great. As he has a young family and a full-time job we are very unlikely to see any new tVoxes in the foreseeable future. He also mentioned that, while there is continued interest in the tVox only a fraction of the people who ask about it would be likely to actually buy one.

He feels they were appropriately priced for the quality of instrument. Lydia stressed the timbre, the portability and the linearity as the key features of the tVox.
Posted: 2/5/2007 5:52:35 AM
Alexander

Gordon - is there any chance you could put me in touch with him? I have a friend with Neuropathy who's enquiring about midi theremins since his hands have stopped functioning to the point where he can't play keys anymore.
Posted: 2/5/2007 6:20:58 AM
GordonC

I'm 99.999% sure the tVox tour does not have midi.

Nonetheless, if you are looking to contact either Lydia or George (spelling?) the email address on Lydia's website - info {at} lydiakavina {dot} com works fine and they are very approachable people.

The only midi theremin I know of in production is the Jaycar Midi Theremin (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5410) - it is very small and does not offer pitch-bend.

Both Wavefront Technologies (http://www.theremin.ws/midi.html) and theremin.co.uk (http://www.technomage.freeserve.co.uk/tmin.htm#mcv1a) offer rather pricey theremin to cv/midi converters.

My experience with the vocal pitch correction included in Apple's GarageBand application suggests that it works very well with theremins, but is too slow in software for practical use. A hardware pitch corrector might be a solution to your friend's problem, again price notwithstanding.

Alternatively - the analog CV path offers possibilities - there in the ePro of course, or the etherwave offers a simple mod for volume to CV and I have read that pitch to CV calls for nothing more complicated that a zero-counter module.
Posted: 2/5/2007 11:19:51 AM
vonbuck

Neuropathy is one of my problems, mostly in my surviving legt but it's creeping into my hands. Since all my paying gigs involve bass, well you can see my concern. Right now it affects my pinky and ring fingers on each hand. I'll keep playing bass long as I have a working finger on each hand, and theremin as long as I can move my arms.
Nothing like being old (er) and sickly

A (cough cough) ndy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.