Etherwave Sound

Posted: 4/26/2007 12:48:10 PM
hypergolic

Does anyone agree that the sound of the current Etherwave's is somewhat buzzy? I have to run mine through some digital processing to soften it enough to be tolerable.

Now if I can only get my Keppinger project off the ground...kids,wife, no spare time it seems.

PHILIP
Posted: 4/26/2007 3:49:32 PM
unclechristo

Mine can be buzzy or completely rounded and muffled depending on the setting.
Can depend on the amp - standard guitar amps will make it sound buzzy as the input level from the etherwave is too high. This is also true if it is going thru some standard guitar pedals. It'll need to go thru a PA amp, mixing desk, preamp or an effects unit with a input volume knob.
I put mine thru a Lexicon 110 which has an input volume knob.

Sorry if this is all known to you - was just a thought.
Posted: 4/26/2007 5:55:40 PM
Charlie D

It depends entirely upon what sound you like. Personally I found the Etherwave sound slightly too round - I like a bit of edge in the lowest and highest registers.
Posted: 4/26/2007 7:09:10 PM
GordonC

Also it could be your vibrato - I prefer a very fast vibrato much of the time - doing it one way makes the sound buzzy, using a different technique makes it very clear and rich.
Posted: 4/26/2007 8:24:31 PM
Thomas Grillo

I think what Hypergolic was getting at, was that the newer E standards sound different than slightly older ones. I know mine sounded completely brighter, and clearer prior to having the power regulator replaced. I think they replaced the whole board while they were at it.
Posted: 4/26/2007 9:35:29 PM
TomFarrell

I definitely have an older e-standard, but...

I think many (certainly not all, but many) thereminists regard the Rockmore custom instrument as having the definitive Theremin sound, and wish to emulate that. If you listen carefully you'll find that it had a very buzzy sound... it didn't give the impression of being buzzy because of the way Clara played it. Vibrato has a huge effect on the sound of a Theremin, because the waveform is constantly being altered by the constant change in pitch.

So, I'm just pointing out that buzzy isn't necessarily bad.

I also think it's interesting that Moog Music has continued to refine the Etherwave Standard, even though it's established technology. I doubt many instrument makers often say "we have a product that's the best selling instrument of its class, and nobody is interested in paying more for it... let's improve it and charge the same amount!"
Posted: 4/26/2007 11:18:12 PM
Thomas Grillo

Tom, finally got around to checking out your site. Very cool! Is that where you're going to use the antennae in your name?
Posted: 4/27/2007 12:06:38 AM
TomFarrell

Yes, I was thinking about using it on my web site.

Thanks for your compliment on my web site, but actually I don't think terribly much of it: I'm a professional web developer, so I've done much better work for Fortune 500 companies, and my own site is just what I've managed to hack together when I have a few minutes here and there. I hope it will get much better when my current employer's fabulous web technology is ready for me to deploy to build a new site.
Posted: 4/27/2007 8:56:43 AM
DiggyDog

My E-Standard is an older one, too. In fact, it's a Big Briar.

It's tone ranges from very buzzy to glassy-smooth, which is my favorite.

I like the singing lady!
Posted: 4/27/2007 9:36:16 AM
Alexander

I have a Carlsbro Stingray Super (http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/2285/front1rr3.jpg). Synths and guitars sound great through it. Theremin sounds like crap - buzzy, distorted whine. I also have a Fender Frontman 25b practice bass amp (http://www.soundexchange2.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=597) that I stole off my little brother. Favourite Theremin tone by far, I now use it in place of the stage monitors at gigs.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.