Mic stands for short folks

Posted: 4/7/2008 11:05:54 PM
shinsawbu

Hey everyone,
I got my very first theremin as a birthday present. I bought a Hercules Quik-n-EZ mic stand to put it on, and, of course, it is too tall for me at it's lowest height.

Can anyone recommend a mic stand for someone 5'1" ?
Posted: 4/8/2008 12:42:54 AM
Thomas Grillo

Onstage makes a short mic stand with boom. It's main post only adjusts up to 15 inches, but the secondary boom extends another 19 inches. Just point the boom stright up, and adjust it as needed. This stand should be able to put the theremin at a comfortable hight for you.

Here's where you can get one
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MUPMS7411

Alternatively, you can get a hack saw, and cut the bottom end of existing mic stand, and then take a pair of grips, and flair the cut end of just the outer tube a bit to keep them from coming out the top of the tripod.

I've been looking around for a shorter mic stand myself.

Itnerestingly enough, the stand used for the Etherwave Pro would have been ideal, but it was custome made for that theremin.

If I find another stand that's better than the one posted here, I'll post it, unless someone finds it first.
Posted: 4/8/2008 12:53:27 AM
Toffe

I would say that Jacksons sollution would be the best. You can get a really cheap stand and take off a good piece at the bottom...

I'm planning on doing so as well, to be able to sit down while playing. I really don't like to stand up for hours at the time.
Posted: 4/8/2008 3:35:41 AM
Alexander

[i]Itnerestingly enough, the stand used for the Etherwave Pro would have been ideal, but it was custome made for that theremin.[/i]

...and it's crap. I and everyone else who owns one can report that the clamp at the base fails to hold within a few months of use and the weight of the Theremin pushes it down to the floor.

My solution has been to wodge a bit of rubber in there.
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:18:57 AM
Charlie D

I don't report that.
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:33:46 AM
Alexander

Everyone except Charlie.
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:43:01 AM
GordonC

Might a small keyboard stand work?

[img]http://www.knockonwood.co.uk/images/MdProd/babycroc.jpg[/img]
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:00:48 AM
Toffe

Don't think so...
To make it short enough the stand will be way too wide for a theremin.

I would still say that hack-sawing off a piece of a normal microphone stand is far the most cheap and accessible way.

That way you can make it just the hight you want it.

// Chris
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:34:31 AM
GordonC

Actually, height isn't the main problem with a keyboard stand - I just tried it with my son's full sized keyboard stand - it puts my etherwave at exactly the same height as my mic stand. Small keyboard stands are easily found - just google "child's keyboard stand."

The problem is that the metal cross bar is close to the volume loop - which mutes the instrument. :-(

You're probably right - a cut-down mic stand is the obvious solution, but as long as it doesn't mess with the control zones you can put a theremin on just about anything. The etherwave manual suggests sitting it on a table with the loop jutting out over the edge. I considered attaching mine to the legs of a clothes shop mannequin, but it turns out that an appropriate dummy would be beyond my budget.
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:56:02 AM
Toffe

hehe.. the dummy would be awsome!

I really like having it on a mic-stand. It gives it alot of air around it and nice straight lines. No furniture messing up the visual experience. It's also very practical, easy to change hight.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.