Theremin not working HELP!

Posted: 8/10/2008 6:00:18 PM
anmweber

I just moved and when I got into my new place and unpacked my Theremin I discovered she isn't making any beautiful sounds! I tried two different cables and the amp seems to be working so that leaves the Theremin itself I'm not sure what to do! Please help me!

PS I have a Moog etherwave standard...

Andy
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:06:34 PM
Thierry

At first you should find out if it is the amp or the Etherwave which doesn't work.

So connect a Headphone to the Etherwave's output. If you hear something on the left ear, the Etherwave is working. If not, take a multimeter, check the Etherwave's power supply and come back here with the results.

"Hier werden Sie geholfen" :-))))
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:51:26 PM
anmweber

I don't have a multimeter or the equipment to plug headphones into my theremin (although I could get that if I had to) but one thing I just noticed (and my reason for responding before I tried either of your suggestions) is that the box on my power cord that plugs directly into the wall is emitting a high pitched buzzing whether the theremin is on or off...does this give anyone a clue to the problem?
Posted: 8/11/2008 12:42:32 AM
Jeff S

That would be the AC step-down transformer (14 VAC) for your theremin. It is NOT normal for them to be making an audible noise and would generally considered to be a sign of a problem.

Since these are not a standard item, you can't just go down to Radio Shack and buy a new one. I don't see them offered on the online music stores either. You'll probably have to buy one directly from Moog Music.
Posted: 8/11/2008 12:15:30 PM
GordonC

Welcome to Theremin World, Andy.

It is possible that there is another TW member within travelling distance of you who could help out. Would you care to give your general location?
Posted: 8/11/2008 4:47:15 PM
anmweber

That would be wonderful as I am the only person I know who owns (or has heard of) a theremin. I live in northern Indiana, specifically Mishawaka Indiana right by South Bend and Notre Dame...

thanks

Andy
Posted: 8/11/2008 5:51:27 PM
Charlie D

Does it have power? Try a different power cord if you've not already done that. Describe the symptoms in as much detail as possible, as well as the events leading up to the theremin failure. Was the instrument bashed about in transit?
Posted: 8/11/2008 6:24:45 PM
anmweber

No, it was in its bag and very safe for the duration of the trip...when I first turn it on I get that initial chirp but then nothing...this rules out the amp and I've tried a couple different cords so it's not the cords...the buzzing coming from the power cord make me think that it could be the cord but I've only got one so I can't test this theory

Andy
Posted: 8/12/2008 7:04:46 AM
GordonC

Hmm, Indiana. I don't [i]know[/i] of any thereminists in Indiana.

Googling [i]theremin indiana[/i] gives some interesting results. :-)

The rather wonderful Charles Richard Lester is making a guest appearance with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra in Indianapolis for four performances. October 29 - November 1, 2009.

There may well be a guy at Indiana Uni - Michael Shannon - with a theremin.

I just added someone called Theremin in Crown Point on myspace. (I'm not optimistic - he has no friends and hasn't checked his account for over a year. That's not you is it?)

Posted: 8/12/2008 7:14:37 AM
anmweber

No that's not me...I guess that is the problem with being a Theremin enthusiast...I suppose if I had a problem with a guitar I could just open my window and shout and 3 people with guitars would hear me...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.