The LEVNET Zone: Part 3

Posted: 8/2/2009 8:03:09 AM
coalport

Gordon wrote:

If I were to mock operagoers, it would not be the minority of true aficionados who go because they love it but the people that bulk out the audience and are there purely in order to be seen to be there...

Several years ago, the late Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti was booed at Milan's La Scala opera house because his voice broke on a high note in the second act of DON CARLOS. Poor Luciano was horrified and apparently locked himself in his dressing room. He was not booed by the the wealthy politicians, diplomats and industrialists in the orchestra. He was booed by the people up in the "gods", the so-called "logginisti".

He was questioned about this incident on the American network newsmagazine, 60 MINUTES. Here is what he said to the interviewer, Mike Wallace;

"There are people who live to go to the opera every night. They give all their love to the opera. They think that they are the ultimate judges of what is going to happen there, and they think they have the right to applaud or to boo. If you want to know my opinion, THEY ARE RIGHT."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-I0mVkYe4

Posted: 8/2/2009 9:56:36 AM
GordonC

OK, I might just have to mock them a little bit.

Woe betide the first people to stage a Klingon Opera.

Loggionisti booing the performance weaknesses, trekkies booing the plot inconsistencies, method actors armed with bat'leths.

They'll be painting the town red that night!
Posted: 8/2/2009 1:41:57 PM
coalport

Several years ago I attended a performance of the great Klingon opera classic AKTUH AND MELOTAH (a favorite of Commander Worf) on the Klingon home world, Kronos.

Unfortunately, the entire opera could not be performed because, for reasons that were unclear, the soprano killed the tenor on stage during the second act and the musicians in the orchestra began attacking one another with pain sticks.
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:08:10 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Unfortunately, the entire opera could not be performed because, for reasons that were unclear, the soprano killed the tenor on stage during the second act and the musicians in the orchestra began attacking one another with pain sticks."[/i]

I was there, and saw the whole thing.. It was the federation who caused the whole debucle - A hypersonic Theremin was being played 12 cents out of tune by Joseph T (who was illegally cloaked) on the front stalls - this caused a psychotic reaction in the performers during the second act, when the tuning error increased to 15 cents.
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:55:00 PM
hypergolic

Ke PLAH!!!
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:56:12 PM
hypergolic

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/
Posted: 8/2/2009 6:05:25 PM
GordonC

Life imitates humour, but usually get there first.

The Klingon Terran Research Ensemble (http://www.youtube.com/user/KTResearchEnsemble)
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:03:26 PM
omhoge

Are there any Klingon Thereminsts performing the soprano arias from AKTUH AND MELOTAH?

[desperate attempt to get the word theremin in here somewhere, and too funny to resist]
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:13:39 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

So sorry.. :(
I have been in the Sol system too long, and my memory got warped..

When I stated "Theremin was being played 12 cents out of tune" I meant to say "15 cents" - which (as we are all painlessly aware) is nearly intollerably in tune.. it was in the second act, when the tuning became unbearably tonal at 12 cents, that the trouble (fun) started.

[i]"Are there any Klingon Thereminsts performing the soprano arias from AKTUH AND MELOTAH?"[/i]

I dont think any survived..
Posted: 8/17/2009 1:24:46 PM
djpb_designs

Fred wrote:
"I carry (as all of us probably do) these influences, and in my case TONS of repressed anger.. ( I still boil when I remember how my album collection was edited with a nail).. Have gone through all the therapies, and come out the other side ok.. a godless pagan! LOL!"

Scratching vinyl that way is a sacrilege in ANY religion!! My vinyl from the 1960s is still almost as free from noise as CDs are!

Don

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.