one more question

Posted: 12/12/2009 1:07:45 PM
squiretron

Dear Members--

I wanted to ask another technical question, since I put together the Moog Etherwave kit by myself and want to know if this is right: the volume knob seems to make very little change in volume. Unlike, say, a guitar volume knob, the volume knob of my theremin produces very little difference in volume, and certainly never goes all the way down to zero. Should this be the case?

Thanks again,

Squiretron
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:26:01 PM
Thereminstrel

The volume dial doesn't make the theremin sound any louder or softer. It adjusts the sensitivity/response of the volume loop.

As you know, the proximity of your left hand to the loop antenna increases/decreases the volume.

With the volume dial turned completely one way, you'd need to move your hand a lot to go from silence to maximum volume. This is ok, but big sweeping lefthand movements can have a knock-on effect on the steadiness of your right/pitch arm/hand.

With the volume dial turned fully the other way, you'd go from soft to loud very swiftly/suddenly. This is handy for playing staccato.

Most players opt for somewhere in the middle ... whatever feels right for you.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.