travelling with a theremin

Posted: 1/8/2010 11:02:31 AM
slclemens

I have a Moog Ethernet Theremin and I will be flying with it next week. I have the kit bag to put it in, so it looks legit. I was just wondering if anyone had had any trouble getting one past security. Worst case scenarios keep flashing through my head...
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:17:20 AM
ExclamPt

I don't have a specific answer for you, but I do have a story to recount.

In the mid-1980s I flew with a theremin I built which was based on a design found in Popular Electronics.

Among other things, it consisted of an obviously home made printed circuit board and two six-inch copper pipes wrapped with lamp cord.

I included plenty of documentation to explain things if need be.

I passed through security in the St. Louis, San Diego, and San Francisco airports without once being asked to open my bag.

Today, I'd still be in jail.
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:32:17 AM
slclemens

That's why I got the gig bag with "Moog Music" printed on the side! Here's hoping...
Posted: 1/8/2010 2:53:41 PM
fintushel

I've never had any difficulty carrying my Etherwave standard as carry-on luggage in an ordinary bag. Once, they inspected it, which took all of five minutes, but most times, it just passed through without comment. I mean, it isn't so different from a transister radio after all. I tuck in the manual just in case.
Posted: 1/8/2010 5:50:29 PM
Thomas Grillo

I've not had any problems carrying an EW Standard on an aircraft. The EW PRO is a different story. I've haerd of musicians who've had to go back and check their theremin bag because of the pitch antenna's arm, and a couple of other parts which could be used as a weapon. Like a thereminist is gonna do that. :)

Best to invest in a good hard case for a bulky type theremin, and check it, or at least check all the bits that could be weaponized, and carry the main body in a smaller bag as I've seen done before by other thereminists.
Posted: 1/9/2010 6:58:42 AM
terrymin

Hi slclemens, Only flown once with Etherwave without problem. Take a photo of one being played
and maybe the manual! That should keep customs happy. Have a good trip.
Posted: 1/10/2010 8:21:37 AM
Thierry

Seems to be a misunderstanding.

All replies concern the Moog Etherwave while he initially asked about the new network version, the Moog Ethernet...

In this case I'd take the invisible wireless version in order to avoid security problems.
Posted: 1/10/2010 10:42:59 AM
fintushel

Thierry, tu as raison! Best thing's just to send yourself and the instrument as an email attachment, yes?
Posted: 1/10/2010 11:05:31 AM
slclemens

Mea culpa, I said Ethernet, but I meant Etherwave! Sorry about that. I really appreciate the advice I've gotten so far. I think I will check the antennae, better safe than sorry.
Posted: 1/11/2010 5:02:27 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Best thing's just to send yourself and the instrument as an email attachment, yes?"

Internet Teleportation! - Now that would be fun!! (provided one doesnt end up in a spam folder... ;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.