Contest: Send us your best "Star Spangled Banner"

Posted: 7/4/2005 9:48:19 AM
Jason

There's still plenty of time to enter!
Posted: 7/4/2005 2:21:34 PM
Jeff S

I don't know if you'll get a lot of responses since you didn't give us much advance notice. It may not be a piece that most people (besides me) play on a regular basis.
I gave it a try yesterday, but I couldn't play it well enough to satisfy me. (I'm a perfectionist.) I just couldn't do that to you. ;-)
Posted: 7/4/2005 8:54:02 PM
Oscar

Good Idea Jason. So good, that I think I will do something simillar for my site ;)

In Spain at least, we don't use to like very much national anthems, even from our own Country. Patriotism is not "cool" here, you know, we have slight different cultures. ;)

So, I will think on different tunes based on your idea. I asked months ago for something mimillar at the forum. By this moment, one of our thereminists from Spain has recorded a "flamenco-style" theremin, and I am thinking on posting something from my own like this...
Posted: 7/4/2005 9:03:10 PM
Jason

Yeah, it was a late breaking idea, so short notice was all I could give. I'll let the contest run a few more days and see what happens. I hope people feel free to share their music no matter how perfect it is... This is all in good fur of course. Jeff, we'd love to hear your version!
Posted: 7/5/2005 11:37:00 PM
Jeff S

LOL...I don't think so. I've just spent another solid hour practicing the SSB and it's not getting any better. Maybe next year.
How about a piece for Christmas? ;-) We'll see.
Posted: 7/19/2005 9:49:03 AM
Charlie D

I can play it now. . . . but the contest is over *waah* Hopefully the August one will be announced soon!
Posted: 7/19/2005 12:31:29 PM
Jason

Timing is everything :)

If anyone has suggestions for public domain songs to be used for the contests, please drop me a line.
Posted: 7/19/2005 1:05:32 PM
steve/camarilla

i think it'd be neat to have more contests on here, maybe one a month or something?
i think it'd be fun, and give some of us material to practice. i mean, i wouldn't have learned the star spangled banner otherwise heh...
Posted: 7/19/2005 2:38:11 PM
Jason

I totally agree! I may have to resort to nursery rhymes if I can't come up with something soon :)

Ideally, I'd like to tie the song choices to some interesting date/fact about the current month. For example, we'll do Auld Lang Syne for Jan 1st (so start practicing now!).

I'm also interesting in hearing all the diffeent ways people play these songs, all the phrasings, the usage of vibrato, effects, etc.

I'll announce the August contest by the end of this week... stay tuned! (or as close to tuned as you can manage :)
Posted: 7/19/2005 3:37:54 PM
Etherspiel

How about "Summertime"?

Seems like a good choice for August...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.