What's with the Enkelaar Theremin guy?

Posted: 8/12/2005 3:08:57 PM
Robotube

Hi everyone

I'm just checking to make sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this...

Several months back, I emailed the guy who makes the Enkelaar Theremins asking if I could buy one, and I never got a response. Just a few days ago, I mailed him again (I still don't have a Theremin at all!) and he STILL doesn't respond. Is something up with this guy? Does he not want my money? Even if he was busy or not even making them at the moment, I find it a little weird that he doesn't respond at all.

Anyway...I've wanted to learn to play the Theremin for months now and haven't been able to because 1) I can't afford the Etherwave and 2) I don't really want a piece of garbage, so the Enkelaar seemed the best alternative. Any suggestions?
Posted: 8/12/2005 4:01:32 PM
Jason

I know they're a fairly small 2-person operation, so maybe it's possible he's just backlogged. I haven't heard anything about them going out of production, but I suppose that's also a possibility.

If you're electronically inclined, the Enkelaar theremin is a Jaycar theremin kit at the heart, and that's only $29.95. There are some tips listed on our schematics page (schematics.asp) that will help you get a better response/sound out of the Jaycar.

I saw an Etherwave kit on eBay for $180 today - keep your eyes out... you never know when a good bargain might come your way.
Posted: 8/12/2005 4:57:48 PM
sinno

That is weird, I got mine at Christmas and had no problems emailing Kees and getting responses to all my questions. Like Jason said maybe they are dead busy (or maybe on holiday ?) Anyway Robo, the Kees is a boss theremin, apparently not as easy to play as a Moog but i think it looks better, certainly more retro. One day we will all have a Moog but till then kidda if you can get one of the Enkelaar theremins do it. well worth it. have you tried to order through the website he has ? www.thetheremin.cjb.net
Good luck.
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:04:52 PM
sinno

meant to say that one of my friends ordered one about 3 or 4 weeks ago and he has got it so should be still in production.
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:21:56 PM
Robotube

I'm electronically inclined, but in the case of the Theremin, if I don't do something quite right, it could affect the whole sound of the instrument. I'd rather buy it assembled so I don't run the risk of jipping myself out of sound quality.

I've searched everywhere for an Etherwave for even $300, but there's nothing out there. I'm sort of surprised that there aren't any used ones floating around.

I'll wait a bit more for a response from Kees.

oh...and in what way did you find the Kees harder to play than the Etherwave?
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:16:57 PM
sinno

I've never played an etherwave Robotube but i did a lot of research on the internet before buying a theremin and it seemed most people found it was easier to pitch correctly with a moog. At the end of the day the moog is a more expensive and probably more professional instrument. Lets face it how many times can you walk into a music shop and try out a theremin ? I live in Liverpool, more bands here than anywhere but a theremin ? nah you got no chance !!!! Do you know what I think , I think if you buy the Kees and get a proper buzz out of it, then you may upgrade to a moog and still keep the kees just cos it looks so gorgeous. its like a piece of boss furniture!!! :)
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:46 PM
Jason

The PAiA Theremax might be another alternative. It's a kit, again, but you can get just the electronics for around $75 I believe and stuff it in any old radio cabinet. It's a playable theremin and certainly a good introduction to theremins (my first was a Theremax). But, I do think the Etherwave is well worth the price.

InstrumentPro.com sells the Etherwave kit (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1095380-10362375?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.instrumentpro.com%2FP-MOOTHERKIT%3Fsource%3DBizRate) for $349 minus 5% for first time buyers. The main board is already built and tuned - you're just assembling the front panel and wiring up the knobs. They also have $20/month financing on it.

zZounds sells the kit for $319 (http://www.zzounds.com/a--3900/item--BIGETHERWAVEKIT) currently, too. Or they sell the assembled version for $359.
Posted: 8/13/2005 12:03:48 AM
Robotube

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. I broke down and bought an Etherwave for $349 assembled. It also comes with 2 videos and free shipping, so I felt like this was the way to go. I also like that in the unlikely event of a malfunction, there are folks I can turn to not too far away.

I should have this fine piece of equipment in my hands on Wednesday. I'll report back here to let everyone know what I think of it.

I am REALLY looking forward to learning this sucker and making some friends here.
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:33:21 AM
sinno

Dude, you've got a theremin and your gonna be so happy. Its a lifechanging event.Is that a bit dramatic ? probably but its true :)
Posted: 8/13/2005 11:24:29 AM
Jason

Great! Where did you get it assembled for $349?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.