My Pro's Back!

Posted: 9/1/2005 10:53:27 PM
Jeff S

My Etherwave Pro is finally back in one piece and now plays like she should have from the beginning! I'm so happy I could just scream! AAAAAAAAaaaaaahh!

I had the old "snappy" volume being that mine was one of the first off the line, but that didn't bother me as much as another "hump" I had in the volume response. The best I could do with the adjustment screw was to move the "hump" so it didn't kick in until full volume, but the large jump in volume was really impossible to control and made it impossible to play to its full potential.

So, I left my Etherwave Pro behind after Ether Music 2005 so Moog Music could do the volume modification and I also had them put in a proper pitch preview for me.
I got my E-Pro back a week and a half later only to find out they forgot to pack my volume loop and the foam packing piece. I contacted Linda about it but unfortunately it was the weekend Bob died, so I decided to leave it go for a week to allow them time to think about other things.
I contacted Linda again this past Monday, and she told me they were also in the middle of the move to their new manufacturing facility. So, today I finally got my volume loop and foam piece as well.
Oh my Gawd does it play nice! It was a very long month but worth it.

There was just one problem.... Previously I had what I thought were strange harmonics appear off and on. Then, the week before the festival a really strange doubling of the tone especially noticeable at the bottom end. At one point it would stop but increase in frequency on either side of that point and continue up the scale but not as intensely. I had discussed the issue with Steve Dunnington, which is when he suggested toying with the manual control knobs.

So tonight, trying everything I could think of that might cause interference, I discovered it stopped when I didn't use the surge protector/power strip I had it (and the amp) plugged into. I did some checking and I got the same effect to different degrees with either the theremin or the amp plugged into the power strip. With both plugged directly into an adapter then into the wall, she sings like a canary! (My outlets aren't grounded, so I had to bring a ground wire up from the basement.)
So, anyone having this sort of problem, please keep this in mind. One idea I've had for a while was to use one of those computer UPS's to power the theremin. I would think they'd be a good source of steady, filtered power. Then, there's also those power "conditioners" you can get from a music store or perhaps an A/V store. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Did I say I was VERY happy!? ;-)

Unfortuately, there's no time left to practice "Amazing Grace"! :-(

Jeff
Posted: 9/1/2005 10:58:32 PM
Jason

Great news! Glad to hear your 'Pro is back in (well, near) your hands.

Do you have a store like Musician's Friend or Sam Ash anywhere near you? They usually have a 30 day no-questions money back program. I've used it to take home pedals & various other gear to make sure I really like them, and if I don't, it's no skin off anyone's back. It's especially nice if you use their 6 months no-payments credit card (but watch out for 21% interest if you go over 6 months!!) You might be able to try out a couple of power conditioners that way to see if it helps.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.