cv out ideas

Posted: 9/25/2005 7:23:14 AM
unclechristo

I'm poised on the brink of moving from etherwave to etherwave pro so am considereing the potential of using the cv outs.

I realise I could use these to put thru something like a moogerfooger murf, or a synth with cv ins.

I have never heard the results of this kind of thing with the theremin. Perhaps etherwave pro or theremax or others with cv outs who have used it could share what they have done with their cv outs.

I am wonderfing - is it a case of like the higher the pitch or volume the greater the wah and that's about it ? Or what else can be done? Does anyone have any samples of stuff done with cv.

Thanks - by the way - thats me in the Sept photo of the month - gonna need new photos with the pro now - doh!
Posted: 9/25/2005 12:55:07 PM
MikeO

Finding a CV2midi device you would be able to transform the etherwave pro in a midi theremin...
If you search with google there are a lot of CV2midi project online, I don't know which is better which is simpler and which of them really works!

If someone else has experience in this field, pleas let me and all us know!
If it works I am planning to add to my Etherwave the cv and gate output (as described in hot rodding manual).

See ya

mic
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:02:26 PM
unclechristo

it looks like there were quite a few theremins put thru moogerfoogers and the like at Etherwave 2005 from what i saw of the photos.

Anyone out there tried the CV outs into any of the Moogerfoogers - the MuRF appeals but don't know likely result of the cv adjustments that can be made with the EPro on the MurF
Posted: 10/1/2005 12:31:21 PM
kkissinger

Great topic. My motivation to purchase a Theremax was based on the presence of CV outputs.

Since I just completed the Theremax, I have only checked the CV outputs to verify that they work. Of course, my Aries synth uses 1/8" plugs and the Tmax uses 1/4" ... today I will build a snake to accomodate all the signals: Pitch CV, Volume CV, Gate, Trigger, Velocity. The Gate and Trigger are combined -- to seperate these out I will need to build a cord with a 1/4" stereo plug on one end and two 1/8" plugs on the other.

I can't wait to start experimenting with this!

As far as ideas -- here are the first things that I am going to try:

1) use of volume CV to control the synth's volume (VCA). My plan is to sequence a "straight" synth melody without expression... then, while playing the sequence back, "conducting" the expression with the Theremax. I have found that sliders, control wheels, etc... are not very natural to me. The prospect of creating more nuanced melodies via gestures is promising.

2) Use of pitch control to control the synth's oscillators -- I've got 9 of them, so should be pretty fun!

3) With sync'd oscillators: using the pitch CV to modulate the "control" oscillator, using the Volume or Velocity to modulate the "slave" -- thus, the volume antenna is used to control timbre.

4) Use the gate to create accents (hits ?!) with the synth while playing the Theremin.

5) Use the CV's to control clock frequencies on the Synthesizer... for example, can control the rate of a clock that triggers the synthesizer's sequencer -- (I am very excited at this prospect).

I also have a K2600 keyboard that has a plethora of control inputs -- however, I need to find out what kind of input signals they require. If anyone has info feel free to share it. I will research this and when I have more info, I will post it.

I am VERY excited about the Theremin and ... well.. can't wait to post some music. However, I will follow Peter Pringle's advice and wait awhile before posting stuff prematurely.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.