Non-USA members, how can we make ThereminWorld better for you?

Posted: 12/6/2005 8:49:35 AM
Jason

I'm working on a complete re-write of the ThereminWorld backend (Bariliant Portal). I know the current site has lots of limitations for non-USA users, so I'm curious to hear what frustrations or feature wishes you have as you're browsing ThereminWorld.

For example, all times listed on the site are always shown in GMT -05:00, where our server lives. The new site will let you specify what timezone you would like to see times in (or magically pick up the time zone of your browser if you travel between zones often).

If you have other suggestions, please post them here. Thanks in advance!
Posted: 12/6/2005 2:30:52 PM
ILYA

Just general suggestions:

1. The long topics must be pages-divided. The short pages are loaded faster and saves the traffic.

2. An illustrative attachment must be allowed. If you are troubled about the copyrights, you can prohibit *.mp3, *.mid and so on.
Posted: 12/6/2005 3:30:29 PM
Jason

Thanks. We do support posting images in the forums using the [img ] and [/img ] tags (without spaces). I just realized that I need to update the message formatting article to include information on that though.

I definitely agree with the need for paging - that will be included in the new forums for sure.

Thanks for the feedback!
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:17:10 AM
GordonC

As a non-USA member, I have not encountered any geographical limitations.

It's not a back-end thing, but perhaps hooks to an automated translating service such as babelfish (http://www.altavista.com/help/free/free_searchbox_transl) would be of benefit to members for whom English is a second language.

On a non-geographical note, when I read an interesting posting I am often curious to read others by the same member. It would be convenient if members' profiles included links to their postings.

Gordon
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:54:17 AM
Jason

I've been thinking about the links to members' postings feature for a while. I've added that to the list.

I believe you had asked about Frappr recently too. That's also on the list of upcoming additions, along with a little surprise :)
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:46:20 AM
ILYA

[i]GordonC, really you do count that automatic translator it is capable to solve all problems?[/i]
(is translated by babelfish.altavista.com :) )
Posted: 12/14/2005 10:30:27 AM
GordonC

No, Ilya, I don't think mechanical translation is a panacea, but it is a tool that is available and I have found it useful when visiting non-English websites. They do not translate perfectly, but they do augment my limited foreign language skills.

And again, this time translated from English -> French -> German -> English...

Not, I think Ilya not that the mechanical translation is a universal remedy, but it is a tool, which is available, and I found useful it, by visiting non English locations Web. They do not translate perfectly, but they increase my limited qualifications of foreign language.
Posted: 12/18/2005 2:48:56 PM
Jason

Hey Gordon - I've implemented your suggestion of adding a link to all the posts by a user. You can find it in the little "poster information" cell on each of their posts or in their profile.

I'll soon have a feature to list all the links & articles contributed by users as well (as well as a better definition of what "points" are).
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:15:25 PM
Jason

...and voila! Check out profiles or the profile info cell in forum posts for a link to all the links submitted by a user.
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:19:04 PM
GordonC

It seems to be working pretty well. (Incidentally the website is really responsive - pages are just snapping up on the screen as I click on links.) The links in the side panel work just fine, as does the link in my own profile.

However I am not seeing the link in other member's profiles - I tried half a dozen including yours, Jason. Neither do I see other member's Contributor Points or Profile Image. My guess is that other members will also only be able to see their own.

Gordon

(Oh, if you want to see some really fancy linking on a music theme, try liveplasma.com (http://www.liveplasma.com/) I've just spent a pleasant few minutes roving (http://www.fix.net/~ggoven/p9.html) from band to band. Sadly it's better known bands and artists only, the Spellbound playlist does not seem to feature and I see no way of adding to it (not that I would be qualified). Nonetheless it's impressive and fun.)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.