My kingdom for a coat tree…

Posted: 12/21/2006 9:59:14 PM
buddy_craigg

My kingdom for a coat tree…

I want a wood “mic stand” to stain to match my etherwave.
So I thought I would get a coat tree and cut it to the height I want.

Where the hell do I have to go to get a coat tree?
I’ve gone to
Target
Walmart
K-mart
Hobby lobby (they have an unfinished furniture department)

So I gave up on the coat tree and thought I would make it from scratch.
But I still need a thick wood rod, something like in closets that you put your hangers on.
I went to
Truevalue hardware
Home depot

Notice I am typing online and not staining a piece of wood right now.
(Which you all know by now that I just [b]LUV[/b] doing)
Posted: 12/21/2006 11:40:46 PM
vonbuck

I think you should wait until christmas morning to start the project

Andy
Posted: 12/21/2006 11:53:44 PM
buddy_craigg

HEY!!!

Andy, how tall is your leg?

on second thought, it probably wouldn't take the stain very well.
Posted: 12/22/2006 8:35:40 AM
DiggyDog

I won't set foot in a Hobby Lobby but I once bought my wife a coat tree in Target.

That's the good noew.

The bad news is that it was brushed stainless steel, not wood.

Not much help, huh?
Posted: 12/22/2006 9:26:33 AM
vonbuck

buddy, the legs already stained, a little wobblin' whle carrying my morning coffee fix. But know that you mention it, one of my old legs might make an interesting stand. vi play sitting down so it should an ok hight.
if yuo start any wood projects ,I think i need a good old fashion peg leg.

ho ho ho

lter today... way too low to use the leg, oh well
Posted: 12/23/2006 12:50:21 AM
Jeff S

Another possible source might be a wooden plant stand.

You might be able to create your own with a little creativity. You might be able to find everything you need in the hardwood department of your local big box hardware store. Look in the aisle with the banister/stair railings, porch columns, etc.
Posted: 12/23/2006 2:30:18 AM
buddy_craigg

Jeff, i checked out the stair area and that junk is really expecive and looks like a 3rd grader made it.

i'm still looking
Posted: 12/23/2006 2:33:36 AM
buddy_craigg

Andy, you just need to get a shorter chair
Posted: 12/23/2006 3:34:40 AM
TomFarrell

So, let's consider for a moment what we're dealing with. A stand for an Etherwave. The Moog instruments have definite mid-century modern design. So, a modernist styled stand would be appropriate if you're going to make a custom stand. Also, we know that Bob Moog used wood in the cabinets of his instruments because he liked wood and believed that wood was an appropriate material for musical instruments. In modern design, this is in line with the opinions of Frank Lloyd Wright, who believed that the appropriate materials for modern design are natural materials like wood and stone.

So, you could look at Frank Lloyd Wright's quartet music stand (http://216.204.67.110/OBJ*37$2675?page=37) and see if you can draw any inspiration from that. I notice it has a flat base with the edges routed off at a 45 degree angle like the edges on the Etherwave, and then it's supported by two intersecting flat panels, one wider than the other. I can't see if their corners are routed off as well, but I wouldn't be surprised. You could make something like that that goes all the way from floor to instrument. For that matter, it doesn't have to be a screw-on, you could give it a tiny tabletop so the instrument could be merely placed on top of it. A simple, clean design... it should look good with the Etherwave.

Another idea would be to make something simple with 2x2s, with the corners routed off. One staight up with something on the end to attach to the Etherwave's stand socket, and then perhaps four short lengths attached around the bottom to keep it upright. Might not be as stable as desirable though... perhaps a flat base instead? Might be a little boring, but it would look okay.
Posted: 12/23/2006 5:11:15 AM
GordonC

Another option...

http://tinyurl.com/yg7ssk

:-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.