Roll Call - 2012

Posted: 1/24/2012 8:39:31 PM
mollydad

@ coalport:  Please post the puppy/theremin choir, should it occur, even if the puppies sing out of tune...p.s. you probably already know this, but be vigilant lest your pups chew on any of your nice instrument collection / cords/ etc...I don't know about collie pups, but labs LOVE to chew stuff up...jcn

Posted: 1/25/2012 11:07:28 AM
coalport

These guys investigate their world with their mouths! Everything gets tasted and chewed. I have a metal and plate glass table and one of the pups likes to chew on one of its legs - which is solid stainless steel! I had a Samoyed pup years ago who ate a very fine old grandfather clock! 

You seem to know something about dogs, so I guess you are acquainted with the challenges of raising two siblings ("littermate syndrome").

I wonder what an RCA tastes like.

Posted: 1/25/2012 12:12:21 PM
GordonC

I wonder what an RCA tastes like.

RCAs are fine (hetero) dining.

Posted: 1/25/2012 9:19:24 PM
mollydad

@ GordonC:  Good One!

@coalport: "littermate syndrome"...cooperative syngergistic destruction?

Posted: 1/25/2012 10:57:14 PM
excalibur

is there any kind of idiots guides to what the main differences are between various types of theremin?

Posted: 1/26/2012 12:31:31 AM
coalport

There are a number of idiots in this forum (myself included) who would be only too happy to guide you! 

Posted: 1/26/2012 2:04:10 PM
SewerPipe

excalibur:

I finally found an area I can represent, "idiot", that is. I have found the main differences in the 4 Theremins I have, is the player. When played by someone else, they sound fine, but when played be me they all sound ---- not so fine. So there you have it, mine must be the "lemons" that sometimes slip by the quality control department. :-)

On the serious side, you will find a vast knowledge base of experienced people here that will be able to answer your questions. Having only been playing (?) for a year now, I can't be of a lot of help, but others can. As far as my opinion when comparing them the pre amp, amp, speakers, ect, need to be taken in to account also. If you are new at Theremins, keep in mind that you will have to spend a Lot of time practicing and not get discouraged. I play for a hobby and don't intend on playing professionally, so my goals are not as lofty as others. The Theremin can be a source of peace and tranquility AND a source of frustration and despair, all at the same time.

God Bless and may your adventure in the "Ether" be a blessing.---- 

Posted: 2/6/2012 12:40:58 PM
ddr

Hi everyone.  I'm Devin from Glendale AZ.  In my mid 50's with limited musical tallent, but a real love of music.

I have been hanging out here and reading up on Theremins for the last 6 months or so.  I've been keeping my eye on E-bay and Craigslist, waiting for a good buy to come up at the same time I had money in my pocket.  That happy circumstance happened this weekend and I was able to win a B3 Deluxe that comes with some instructional materials. 

Looking forward to it arriving and being able to play with it.

Posted: 2/6/2012 1:58:01 PM
Amethyste

Welcome DDR!

The Theremin is such a wonderful journey to take... I have had a blast so far! I have only been playing for 10 months now, but I just couldn't think of my life without the new dimensions that the Theremin is adding to it!

Welcome to the forum :)

Posted: 2/6/2012 3:16:06 PM
SewerPipe

Congrats and welcome, DDR:

I wish you well on your journey in the Ether. My first Theremin was a B3 Deluxe, I think you will be pleased with yours as well. The B3 will "overdrive" a guitar amp with ease, you may want to take it to a music store and try several amps as to what works best. You mentioned money in pocket and a good buy in the same sentence, so like me, you may not be in a position to just go out and purchase what you want. I started with a "borrowed" amplifier for quite some time. I found that the B3 itself would play well directly in to a cheep head set without a amp. I’ve heard it said that a head set used without a amp was not good for the electronics in the Theremin (?). Of course I heard that After I had been doing it for 4 months every day. Doesn't seem to have damaged mine. Others in this forum with more experience will be able to guide you in the proper "techniques" of playing, but for me, I found the "expression" to be more important than the "technique". Do what works best for you and you will never leave the Ether.

Have a Blessed Day --- SewerPipe ---

PS. Your dog may be your best critique. ;-) 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.