The new forums text editor

Posted: 4/11/2012 6:54:58 AM
Yeapsystar

I agree with Amey about the quote button ;-) In most PhP fora this works great!

Mostly just a button or more buttons above or beneath each posts so in fact you can reply on every post or just on the posts you want to. Now, you have to go ALL THE WAY down to post your reply, and why make things more difficult than they are, as we already have to browse around on more pages (typically online fora which gets me nuts sometimes!)?

... And oh ... It's no problem to leave the "Post Reply" text box there as it is now, you only have to do some addition I guess ;-)

Love,

Marielle :D

Posted: 4/11/2012 5:28:04 PM
Jason

I think I can add this pretty easily once I get a few extra hours.  It's high up on the backlog :)

Keep the awesome feedback coming!

Posted: 4/11/2012 8:57:46 PM
Yeapsystar

Hi Jason ;-)

On most PhP online fora, you can find the quote button near the delete and edit buttons in the posts you do, and in other posts from others it's mostly only the quote button ;-) Maybe that helps a bit?

Yeah, I know that building hyperlinks everywhere can be a crime to do ... Puh! But it was only a suggestion ...

Love,

Marielle :D

Posted: 4/13/2012 2:08:36 PM
gtc

Any chance of making embedded URLs/links clickable?

Posted: 4/13/2012 3:31:43 PM
Jason

@gtc - They should already be.  If you type a URL and hit space after it, it should automatically get converted into an "active" link... though I just noticed that's not actually working.  Ugh, another one for the bug list.  Honestly, I'm not too impressed with this TinyMCE editor we're using.  I'll see if there's an update or an alternative that works better.

Alternatively, you can select text and click the little "chain" icon in the toolbar below the text editor to bring up a form that will let you convert the text into a link.

Jason

Posted: 4/13/2012 4:33:25 PM
gtc

Thanks.

The editor appears to be quite fragile.

Posted: 4/15/2012 4:33:33 AM
Jason

Tonight I added the "reply with quote" button as well as a "report post" feature. 

Let me know how they work for you.

I also tweaked the thread styling just a bit.  Let me know if you like it or hate it, and if you have problems, please let me know what browser & version you're using.

Posted: 4/15/2012 9:02:05 AM
gtc

Thanks for providing those new features.

I note that the text formatting (bold, italics) in some existing posts shows the naked tags rather than executing the formatting feature. Is that because the tags have been inserted manually, rather than using the formatting buttons?

Posted: 4/15/2012 2:36:27 PM
Jason

That's correct.  If tags are entered manually, they are not treated as formatting tags.  I think most boards do this.

I just noticed the new forums thread styling looks terrible on the iPad.  Go figure...   IE9 did something better than Apple :)

I will muck around with the styling again today to see if I can fix the iPad problems.

Posted: 4/15/2012 3:12:06 PM
Touchless

Jason….  Remember what Clara said: “Less is More”

Your efforts are fabulous but a Report Button? This may dry up the entertainment and humor value of many posts, maybe just a button to flag spam.

Reply with quote Button should have a Cancel Button, though Delete works fine, I don’t quite get the logic to all this change and Button Madness. Does it create a smarter world of theremin? I don’t visit any other groups so maybe I am missing the point of all this change. If it ain’t broke…

The redundant Quoted Text should be in a different font, smaller? It also gives no indication of who made the statement. Imagine quoting the controversial and entertaining FredM, you would not have enough Terabytes. Also Quoting should just grab a highlighted section of the original post to help FredM out.

@Jason. I think our old method of pointing is better

You’re doing an outstanding job, step back, get a cup of coffee and think about all this.

Ok you just improved the layout, much better!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.