Glasgow digital Theremin

Posted: 5/3/2015 10:06:53 PM
AngelLaHash

Thanks.. I think ill give up on this then, was going to start a new one in the morning but, sounds like it would be rubbish and worthless thing to even build..

Posted: 5/3/2015 10:30:02 PM
xtheremin8

christopher, if the Golem theremins are based on the glasgow-design, then there are a couple of creepy videos on y.t. boyoboy.... filmed from a bad angle (by purpose?)but it's quite obvious, even to my humble amateur eye&ear, that there is something wrong. i only can imagine, that the guy from golem maybe did put some efforts (brain-juice) into a improvement of the circuit, but it did not help much, if you compare the different documented models. not one i would buy, nor if i could, even build.

if such a work starts already with some kind of copy&paste, why waste time on bad design? must be pure rodeo. dunno. my real own pitch only design still sounds like two misstuned shortwave radios all along. no one want's to hear that. pure sonic interferencia horribilis.

Posted: 5/3/2015 10:36:45 PM
Thierry

It is perhaps a good idea to listen to that old fart (the so-called French thérémingenieur) who has in his life seen, played, fixed, and built more different theremin models than most others... ;-)

Posted: 5/3/2015 11:06:05 PM
oldtemecula

Let see how translators handle this, it is not all English.

I have heard Thierry's sound, on that YouTube video when he was driving the Yugo around in the parking lot honking while Thorwald was playing his design.

What tells me he has big cojones is when Thierry opens up someone's overpriced E-pro and applies a soldering iron to the fragile circuit boards of today and they both survive.

I rather deactivate improvised explosives!

Christopher

Posted: 5/3/2015 11:13:53 PM
Thierry

Christopher, if you want to listen to one of my designs in good audio quality without cars honking around, please listen here:

https://youtu.be/S-U24X5nL1c?t=6m14s

Posted: 5/3/2015 11:43:14 PM
xtheremin8

....chapeau!

Posted: 5/4/2015 12:51:30 AM
oldtemecula

Thorwald is a good guy with the beautiful Spirit I like to find in people. Setting his playing aside, which is good, I like your sound as it has a character that I like but have not figured out how to capture... yet. I almost think you have an acoustic trick you are using or an add-on device? I need to view your direct audio wave shape to sound card recording.

In this sample.mp3  I use an acoustic trick for a natural sound, still not quite right. It saddens me that Theremini owners do not realize how their sound misses the mark completely, might as well play in tune on a keyboard. It can be a nice sound, but it is just wrong.

My sounds are pure, no equalizer to enhance certain frequencies, just theremin direct to sound card.

Someday I will meet a local classical Thereminist to play my sound so others can know what the pure theremin concept can sound like, even my interesting hybrid EWS sound.

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.