Let's Design and Build a (mostly) Digital Theremin!

Posted: 7/15/2012 12:50:44 PM
dewster

"...this is Lattice not Cypress"  - FredM

Brain fart - I'm such an idiot sometimes!

"There are LUTs and FFs..."

I'm looking at the CY8C55 datasheet and all I see is old product term stuff (big AND gate array followed by smaller OR gate array) in the PLD block - am I missing something?  FPGAs (and the MachXO) have look-up tables followed by flip flops.

It's very interesting that you worked so closely with Cypress.

And I stand by my assertion that the ARM is overly complex ;-) (particularly for this application).

Posted: 7/15/2012 3:26:31 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

First, I need to make this "disclaimer" LOL! ;-) I am only starting to get into the new PSoCs, so dont really know what I am talking about on them! - Also, my work with CPLDs has been quite elementary, so I am not placed to compare the archetecture of the PSoC UDB against other CPLD / FPGA -

"I'm looking at the CY8C55 datasheet and all I see is old product term stuff (big AND gate array followed by smaller OR gate array) in the PLD block - am I missing something? " - Dewster

No, I dont think "you" are  missing anything - IMO, Cypress is missing "something"! - Once again - They seem to think that complexity frightens people, so seem to simplify things and in the process serious designers look at their products and walk away.

You are right when you say the PLD structure is the tired old AND OR product term stuff - But each UDB is much more than just PLD - Each contains 2*PLD's; Datapath components  (ALU,4*Registers,2*FIFO etc) ; and other routing / chaining logic - but you can only directly access these if you go in at schematic or verilog level.

As far as I can see, IMO, Cypress has screwed up a bit in the way it is presenting its new archetecture - They are providing "Pre-assembled components" for designers to "wire" together.. These "Pre-assembled components" are great, and makes moving designs from PSoC 1 over to the new PSoC's easy - The trouble is (IMO) that the new PSoC's are a massive evolutionary step from PSOC 1, and thinking about them with the same paradigms used for PSoC 1 makes it likely that many designers will miss out -

The real power of the new PSoCs is that one does not need to use these "components" - one can insert logic and LUTs and FF's, have these connecting to I/O or to the datapath - and you can "package" your "constructions" into reusable "components" in a hierarchical manner.

As I say, I am not sure how it compares to a dedicated FPGA/CPLD like you are using, and I suspect it is greatly inferior for the kind of app you are working on - but most peeps do not intend to design a processor when they select something like a PSoC, I guess!

Fred.

Ps - the PSoC 3/5 Archetecture TRM gives a bit more data on the UDB's. Page 36 in particular may be of interest - it shows the ALU stuff.. There are 24 of these on a PSoC - not sure if a processor designer could use them.....

Posted: 7/15/2012 5:30:41 PM
dewster

For those interested, here is a short comparison of product term vs. LUT:

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-products/fpga-pld-products/4070044/Product-Term-or-Look-up-Table--Decisions-Decisions

For smaller designs the PLD product term approach is OK, but it's almost trivially easy to cross over (even unintentionally) into territory where it makes more sense (cost, performance, etc.) to implement the design in a LUT based architecture.  Adding other highly specialized blocks to this is nice, but again I'd rather design my own and tailor them exactly to my application.  I believe the main cost drivers in PLD technology are the large EEPROM based switches.

Modern FPGAs (even at the low-cost "value" end) have DSP blocks (often attached to block RAM) that can do all sorts of stuff, and can perform a different operation on each clock (i.e. pipelined).

Even several years ago it seemed to me that industry was moving away from product term.  I stopped using CPLDs the minute MachXO came along, the ability to reconfigure a product out in the field via software was too strong (this significantly reduced the "do or die" verification pressure on me as well).

Posted: 7/15/2012 8:55:38 PM
dewster

Today ("s44_2012-07-15.rar" at the DT repository) I rashly gave in to simplicity.  With the exception of copy, ALL single operand instructions ONLY operate on P.  This makes the switching before the ALU exceedingly simple, but more importantly makes the CPU easier to handle conceptually.  But it precludes a free move, so call me crazy (because I probably am).

"I came so far for beauty, I left so much behind..."

Posted: 7/22/2012 6:51:47 PM
dewster

Today ("s44_2012-07-22.rar" at the DT repository) I glued a register set, UART, two timers, and 7 segment hexidecimal display to the S44 core.  It's taking ~70% of the target FPGA, still compiling comfortably with 80MHz clock (4 threads running at 20MHz each).

I included some new opcodes that use 5 bits of immediate data:

- variable size sign extension

- variable size zero extension

- power of 2 (shifted 1 in field of zeros)

- barrel shift left & right (signed & unsigned)

- add & subtract

The barrel shifter and add/subtract can also be used with two operands rather than a single operand and immediate data.

To make room for these I got rid of several conditional immediate relative jumps.

I'm getting super exhausted of coding this thing, time to instantiate it inside the FPGA with the Theremin DPLL and segue as much of the firmware into software as possible.

Posted: 9/2/2012 2:07:05 AM
dewster

Still hacking away on my processor, hoping to finish it in this millennium.  An almost entirely thankless task - and a procrastinator's dream come true! 

SO - what are you doing? 

Me (gazing at the ceiling) - working on my processor...

I exaggerate a bit, but it's almost that bad (or good, depending on how you look at it).  I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm one of those people that is difficult to live with.

Posted: 10/26/2012 6:40:26 PM
dewster

There's a new verilog zip file in the digital Theremin repository:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c6heyx0mm60b1il

I've set the processor aside for a while, it was just getting in the way of further testing and polishing of the AFE and DPLL.  After some further simulation I decided to dramatically increase the AFE tank and linearizing inductors, which dropped the operating point to around 66kHz (no one can complain about EMI/RFI there!).  There's quite a bit less dynamic current flowing in the inductors (<1mA) and I'm getting better (larger and less bobbly) pitch numbers from the DPLL.

Strangely, the old "linearizing inductor built into the antenna" trick seems to be failing now, as it makes for a much less stable configuration (it also picks up more external interference from my fluorescent desk lamp, and the headphone wire influences pitch a lot more) than simply placing the inductors on the breadboard with the rest of the AFE.  Not sure why this is, but I guess it simplifies the antenna construction.

I also put a second order delta sigma D/A in there, and it's working much better than I could have expected in terms of SNR and idle tones.  I'm feeding it the NCO ramp through a triangle converter.  Surprisingly, clipping the triangle tops and bottoms doesn't add much in the way of audible harmonics.

Next up: linearization.

Theremin design is like climbing Everest!  Where every stray femto Farad and every tiny bit of environmental noise is doing its level best to send you to the loony bin.

Revision History:

2012-10-25:
- AFE inductor/cap resize: 1mH=>100mH, 22pF=>10pF, 4mH=>200mH @ pitch antenna.
- Drive resistor is now 2.2k (was 100, the new coils provide HV with lower I).
- Seeing increased precision due to less averaging and ~10x smaller phase dither.
- Seeing some interaction between hex display and low pitches.
- Now using button[1] & button[2] to adjust PLL center frequency.
- Added LPF to PLL PEI output - this is a huge improvement!
- Added 2nd order modulator attached to nco ramp.
- Added ramp2triangle.v component to give triangle and clipped output waveforms.
- Cleaned up & simplified PLL parameter calculations, some renaming also.
- Enabling PEP now doesn't seem to cause sticky points, but I'm leaving it off.
- With 200mH inside antenna:
  - Lots of interaction via headphone cable.
  - Fluorescent lamp interference.
  - 78 kHz null freq.
- With 200mH on breadboard:
  - Quite a bit more stable.
  - Less interference with fluorescent lamp.
  - 66 kHz null freq.

Posted: 10/26/2012 8:02:06 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Strangely, the old "linearizing inductor built into the antenna" trick seems to be failing now, as it makes for a much less stable configuration (it also picks up more external interference from my fluorescent desk lamp, and the headphone wire influences pitch a lot more) than simply placing the inductors on the breadboard with the rest of the AFE.  Not sure why this is, but I guess it simplifies the antenna construction."- Dewster

Real interesting results - the lower frequency is more similar to conventional short-range capacitive sensors I have seen, and the mode-0 operation is also similar, but they dont have a liearizing inductance.. And these often are AFE's with following digital circuitry.

As for the antenna inductance - that is a really large inductance! - Perhaps with such a large inductance magnetic coupling to the inductor becomes significant, and the orientation of this inductance WRT the fields is whats making the difference (?) .. At least the inductors SRF and capacitance wont cause a problem, even if you used a small mains transformer as the inductor! ;-)

Be real interesting to see what range and linearity you can get.

Fred.

Posted: 10/26/2012 9:39:15 PM
dewster

"As for the antenna inductance - that is a really large inductance! - Perhaps with such a large inductance magnetic coupling to the inductor becomes significant, and the orientation of this inductance WRT the fields is whats making the difference (?) .. At least the inductors SRF and capacitance wont cause a problem, even if you used a small mains transformer as the inductor! ;-)"  - FredM

The inductors are Bournes 8250-104K-RC: SRF=320kHz;  Imax=22mA; Isat=3mA.  Electrically shielded on a ferrite core.  I don't think they are interacting with each other on the breadboard, but perhaps they are interacting with the environment outside this? 

Would wiring the two in series inside the antenna 180 degrees with each other (i.e. one pointing north, the other south) help?  They're currently wired so that the external markings are pointing in the same direction. 

They're $1.50 a pop in small quantities which seems reasonable, 12mm length, 4mm OD fits easily inside 3/8 PEX plumbing.

"Be real interesting to see what range and linearity you can get."

I'm using the "linearizing" inductor more for increased sensitivity and reduced interference, not so much for linearizing, though I am still seeing a fairly linear ~1 octave per fist open/close over many octaves if the null point is set to several feet out (as I demonstrated in the video some months back).  Interesting how these drastic component value and operating frequency changes yield essentially the same behavior.

I'm wondering if the "inductor inside the antenna" instability is due to the tank being more directly exposed to the environment, rather than seeing the world through an on-board inductance?  It's all this touchy, vague stuff that I was hoping to largely avoid by going minimally analog / maximally digital.

Posted: 10/26/2012 11:10:08 PM
FredM

"Would wiring the two in series inside the antenna 180 degrees with each other (i.e. one pointing north, the other south) help?  They're currently wired so that the external markings are pointing in the same direction. " - Dewster

I think it most likely that magnetic fields generated from external stuff is a problem causer - particularly at the low frequency you are running at - harmonics probably bang on the resonant frequency ( fluorescent lamps with their radiating ballasts are a major pain) and having the inductors wired anti-phase should give some reduction due to phase cancellation.

"I'm wondering if the "inductor inside the antenna" instability is due to the tank being more directly exposed to the environment, rather than seeing the world through an on-board inductance?"

The EQ inductance being close to the tank will only reduce any s*it which appears on the coupling wire between the tank and the EQ.. Usually the connection point to the oscillator is far lower sensitivity than the antenna, and the optimum point at which to run a wire to the antenna inductor which "multiplies" the sensitivity on its other side (the antenna).

" It's all this touchy, vague stuff that I was hoping to largely avoid by going minimally analog / maximally digital."

LOL ;-) Digital or analogue - at the end of the day, we are playing with femto Farads.. It touchy!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.