Is This A Theremin?

Posted: 9/17/2012 2:28:55 AM
w0ttm

"I dont see guitarists jumping up and down in rage over the abuse of "their" instrument." Fred.

That's because nobody gives a damn what we think. I've tried that game. The controller bears as much resemblance to a guitar as a stick does to a rifle. When I first picked it up, I tried to actually play it, and that didn't work at all.

I've even had someone look at my acoustic guitar with disdain because it has built in electronics. I hope they never see Peters Hurdy Gurdy. That would probably start a fight.

" "I seen him! He done it!" is perfectly good English to somebody who don't know no better." coalport.

Welcome to the 21'st century, where the gifted are restrained to avoid making the grey matter challenged ones feel uncomfortable. Where fairness is making sure everyone is equally miserable.

As for the 91, I've decided not to worry about it :)  It's no less a theremin than an etherwave plus or pro controlling a VCO. It looks like a theremin. It plays like a theremin. It sounds like a theremin. If someone gave me one I'd play it and be a very happy man. Close enough.

Furthermore no one, except my friends here, gives a rosey red rats rectum what I think.

Lets all just get drunk and let the morons have their party without us.

P.S. To further add to the confusion, I have a bit of test equipment in front of me now that generates a signal from about 900 khz to 31 mhz controlled by BCD switches. It's labeled as a "frequency synthesizer" but at its core lives an L C oscillator. 

Posted: 9/17/2012 3:07:32 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Is this a theremin???" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBcMqBmUULI#t=00m35s - only someone who doesn't really know what a theremin sounds like would think that this is a theremin." - Coalport

Nah, We say its not a terrapin, it dont sound like no terrapin - I recon they just gotted confused - they meant tortoise not terrapin! (and a constipatulated one at that!)

"Welcome to the 21'st century, where the gifted are restrained to avoid making the grey matter challenged ones feel uncomfortable. ." - W0ttm

Has it really ever been different?  Copernicus and Gallileo would probably have had  happier lifes (and better ends) if they had been  morons, and  Darwin probably got more shit thrown at him because he comprehensively documented his theory, wrote what IMO is the best scientific book of all time, and almost single handedly formulated a "theory of everything" for biology - something we are still waiting for with physics. How many brilliant people were murdered by moronic bullies because they didnt have the sense to keep their mouths shut? And where would we be today if they had kept their mouths shut? (and how many kept their mouths shut who we dont know about - and what have we lost as a result?)

Also (just to keep my left-wing cred LOL ;-) perhaps if the majority of those with "grey matter" hadnt exploited those with less, for centuries, we (the brainiacs) and they (the mor[m]ons) would be living in harmony and equality, and going for "win-win" rather than "lose-lose".. 

While we go for "I win, you lose" (win-lose) we cannot expect the "losers" to be too worried about anything which causes us to lose.. If those with brains realised that a "win-lose" always becomes a "lose-lose" and strove for a "win-win" (or, best of all, "win-win or no deal" - as in, I will not accept any "solution" where there are any losers)  then we would all be happier.. Perhaps...

" To further add to the confusion, I have a bit of test equipment in front of me now that generates a signal from about 900 khz to 31 mhz controlled by BCD switches. It's labeled as a "frequency synthesizer" but at its core lives an L C oscillator." - W0ttm

What vintage is this ? there are some amazing new frequency synthesisers at absurdly low cost, coming o market these days - but these are all based on a huge cheap digital IC, and have a Xtal osc which is PLL'ed up .. Not willing to guess what your LC based synthesiser is doing - there are loads of techniques available - whats its resolution? (these new IC's are settable in 1Hz steps!)

"Lets all just get drunk and let the morons have their party without us.."

They took all the booze.. 8-( .. and left us with these bloody terrapins...

Fred.

Posted: 9/17/2012 3:13:50 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Is this a terrapin ????

Yeah - I know.. weve been here before - same bloody picture even! I nicked it from an old thread titled "whats a terrapin" LOL - yeah - guess who started that thread ;-)

This is a regurgitated hijack! ;-)

Posted: 9/17/2012 5:42:53 AM
w0ttm

Vintage late 80's. That's my best guess. A couple of them were gifts from a fellow nerd in the early 90's.

Resolution is 5khz. Varactor diode and a small toroid inductor. PLL with a ton of DIP IC's.

Posted: 9/17/2012 5:44:53 AM
w0ttm

"Has it really ever been different?" Fred.

Good point....

Posted: 9/17/2012 12:32:42 PM
coalport

That terrapin only has one antenna. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it a mock terrapin.

Posted: 9/17/2012 2:34:24 PM
Amethyste

awwwww... this terrapin is really exquisite. Beautiful!

Posted: 9/17/2012 7:37:34 PM
w0ttm

Typo.... Resolution is 5 hz, not 5 khz. Oops......

Posted: 9/17/2012 7:52:22 PM
FredM

"That terrapin only has one antenna. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it a mock terrapin." - Coalport

Are you sure theres no loop sticking out  its rear end ?

"awwwww... this terrapin is really exquisite. Beautiful!" - Amey..

Yeah, poor creature.. its the expression on its face which gets me - looks like a resigned "here we go again..." LOL.

ps.. Its not a terrapin - not even a "mock" terrapin - its a turtle ;-) .. By comparison, a terrapin is a mini Gakken..

But I will stop now - the analogy can only be taken so far......... before it gets REALLY SILLY ! ;-)

Fred

Posted: 9/17/2012 11:53:37 PM
coalport

Fred: Its not a terrapin - not even a "mock" terrapin - its a turtle

AHA! It's a mock turtle! 

Here he is with Alice and the Gryphon.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.