Option to send a message

Posted: 10/3/2012 1:43:23 PM
Amethyste

From: In between the Pitch and Volume hand ~ New England

Joined: 12/17/2010

Could we please have a messaging system ? At least, if you dont want to get messages from anyone, you would have the option to turn that off. I'd rather come here to get them than to give my email to a multitude of people.

What do you all think?

I was trying to find Fred's email and there is none listed. It made me think of this option.

 

Thanks for considering!

Posted: 10/3/2012 3:06:49 PM
dewster

From: Northern NJ, USA

Joined: 2/17/2012

Agree, a PM system (like the one over at Piano World) is super handy.  One can have private side bars with other members whilst retaining one's anonymity if so desired.  (PW limits a member to the creation of 200 new PM threads, after which the member must delete one or more to create a new one.  There is no way to ignore PMs but I haven't found that to be an issue.  Multiple members can be on a PM which is sometimes useful).

Posted: 10/3/2012 3:49:12 PM
GordonC

From: Croxley Green, Hertfordshire, UK

Joined: 10/5/2005

Ame, look at the top of Fred's avatar photo. :-)

Posted: 10/3/2012 4:03:21 PM
Amethyste

From: In between the Pitch and Volume hand ~ New England

Joined: 12/17/2010

Bwahahaha.... that's real funny Gordon! Thanks :)

But still though, having a messaging system would be a nice feature to have...

Posted: 10/3/2012 5:23:53 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

From: Just a short walk away from Nike Missile Site S-13/14

Joined: 1/28/2011

Here is another vote for private messaging. 

This is the only forum I am on that doesn't have it.  It is very handy.  It allows you to share email adresses or other information with a selected individual without sharing it with the whole forum (or any casual visitor reading a thread).  I believe it also helps to de-clutter threads as members have another method to go off-topic directly with their smaller indtended audience.  On the the motorcycle forum I frequent you can block anyone but a moderator or administrator, or you chan choose to accept no PMs from anyone (except mod/admin). 

Posted: 10/3/2012 9:32:32 PM
Jason

From: Sammamish, Washington

Joined: 2/13/2005

I definitely understand the need for this, and I'll add it to the backlog.  I just set up a UserVoice site where folks can rate the ideas we have on the backlog so I can see what's most important to you all and focus my time on those first.  I'll post the link in a new thread.

Posted: 10/27/2012 4:51:24 PM
Jason

From: Sammamish, Washington

Joined: 2/13/2005

Quick update on this...  I have most of the feature working now and hope to be finished in a couple of days.  Stay (relatively) tuned!

Posted: 10/28/2012 4:41:48 AM
Amethyste

From: In between the Pitch and Volume hand ~ New England

Joined: 12/17/2010

Thank you Jason! :)

Posted: 1/25/2013 1:24:32 PM
mickkotter

From: gretna, louisiana

Joined: 8/10/2005

how is the private messaging feature coming along?

Posted: 1/25/2013 4:34:02 PM
Thierry

From: Colmar, France

Joined: 12/31/2007

After 30 years in software development I can tell you a simple rule:

The first 90% of a s/w development consume the first 90% of the planned time and budget.

The remaining 10% will normally consume the remaining 90% of the planned time and budget.

;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.