A new forum for working thereminists

Posted: 12/19/2012 12:58:01 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Astonished at the wonderful form you have developed and terrified at the thought that so much hideous and bad music will be put on record forever." - Sir Arthur Sullivan

What an incredibly accurate and insightful "prophesy" !

Posted: 12/19/2012 4:23:26 PM
robonil

For bad or for good, the Theremins who plays live are necessary, the youtube players are neccesary as well, but if you don't have a live performance to share with the people or you denies to play for a some audience, i think you only plays to yourself. To share the Theremin with others "in real life" is a great experience, and if i don't have in mind that in the future i'll have the instance to play live, i think that i'd do other thing.   

Posted: 3/19/2013 10:03:39 AM
ChrisC

I love reading these posts. Well there seem to be so few people actually playin' in public (bad or good Coalport) that it an interesting field to catch up on.

Funny enough, that's where Annie says I should practice........................... in a field!!!

PS OooH Fred M, hasn't your tail got long and your shoulder blades expanded since I last saw you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 3/19/2013 11:56:05 AM
AlKhwarizmi

I have never seen a live theremin performance, except in a concert by Jean Michel Jarre (and then, he doesn't play precision theremin). I live in a small city and the local music scene just isn't large or diverse enough to get theremin gigs, we have some really good bands but they don't use theremins. Thanks to Youtube I have been able to listen to many excellent theremin performances (and crappy ones too, of course ;)). I wouldn't be here without that, so I'm grateful that people posts to Youtube, regardless of whether it's for ego reasons or not.

Posted: 3/19/2013 4:12:29 PM
dewster

"There's plenty for us to discuss related to being a "working thereminist", even if not a "life supporting thereminist"."  - Jason

Theremins may soon put me on life support!

Posted: 3/19/2013 5:09:30 PM
RSchwim

I've been playing out on theremin a fair amount lately... A quick story: I did a favor for a friend whose little girl was in nursery school... Brought the theremin to show and tell. Talked all nice and friendly but when I played the first note 2 kids immediately burst into tears. I found out later that one of them hadn't been able to go to the bathroom for a few days and it turns out that the theremin's curative powers are vastly underrated. Evidently immediate explosion occurred... 

Posted: 3/19/2013 5:43:23 PM
roguewave

I have been a performing musician for many years, but not on the theremin. I do intend to go out to the world as soon as I feel good enough to do so! Every musician I showed the theremin to told me they would like to be able to play at least one tune with this instrument. In the meantime I practice my playing using MIDI accompaniments, or with my girlfriend playing the piano. 

Posted: 3/19/2013 6:15:51 PM
Amethyste

My first real theremin gig was at Joes Pub with Rob and Dorit. As nerve wrecking it was, it really taught me a lot. I hope peoplas enjoyed our songs. I now I did enjoy being there!

Posted: 3/19/2013 8:04:35 PM
ChrisC

I've been playing out on theremin a fair amount lately... A quick story: I did a favor for a friend whose little girl was in nursery school... Brought the theremin to show and tell. Talked all nice and friendly but when I played the first note 2 kids immediately burst into tears. I found out later that one of them hadn't been able to go to the bathroom for a few days and it turns out that the theremin's curative powers are vastly underrated. Evidently immediate explosion occurred... 

I nearly had an accident reading this. Excellent  : )

Posted: 3/19/2013 8:30:07 PM
Thomas Grillo

Must have found the lost chord. The one the military's been using for crowd control lately. LOL :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.